Moose quality in 20b

okie archer

I recently made a post concerning legal size for bull moose in 20a. My friend that invited me to hunt Alaska told me the area we would Moose hunt was any bull was legal. After talking to AK g&f, it's actually 20b that is any bull is legal.
Soooo, my question is are they very good chances at a 45" or bigger bull in 20b on a nine day hunt?
How far from the ATV trails would one need to get? Please offer any advice if you have experience or knowledge of this unit.

You REALLY need to look at the regs and a map. The areas for a nonresident to harvest any bull (archery only) are quite defined/restricted and do not apply to the unit as a whole. A lot of those hunts are drawing hunts - the draw application ended on Dec 31, 2017 for 2018 hunts. You also need IBEP certification to participate in an archery hunt. (Not needed for an any weapon hunt.) The regs have over a full page of moose regs for 20B and the exact area you'll be hunting is important.

I have regs coming in the mail. I spent close to an hour yesterday on the phone with a gentleman from AK g&f and he told me 20b is any bull rifle for non residents. Maybe he doesn't know what he's talking about.

3yo bulls can be 45 inches, and dumber than a post in the rut. Its hunting, and not all of AK has big numbers of game. Im not sure why 20b is any bull, but suspect its due to the population being able to sustain it or it's tied to predator control. Look up the managment plan for the area. Yes, your freind is right 20b does offer any bull on a harvest ticket for NR. ADFG has a pretty good website for figuring out what's legal to hunt by residency and game unit. Complete with USGS maps. Good luck!

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=huntingmaps.byspecies

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back