Caribou Gear

Copper Plated Handgun Bullets

OhHeyThereBen

Hey all,

I just loaded up some Raineer Ballistics 115 gr copper plated hollow point bullets for my 9mm. Anybody shoot copper plated? From what I understand, you need to keep the loads a little slower in the speed category. Any more tips or tricks? It's pretty appealing to be able to load up hollow point 9mm for ~15 cents a round. I realize it's probably not the best self defense ammo or anything, but it should work plenty well for either plinking or small game shooting.

Anyone have a favorite handgun load that they'd like to brag up? Sitting behind the computer outside of hunting season has my brain running circles.

-Ben

Last edited:
I load plated for my 9, 40 & 45. Never had a problem with them leading barrels using standard loads & velocities. I usually use Hornady XTP's or Speer Gold Dots for personal protection and those loads are generally a little spicier than my plinking rounds.

i also load the Rainers or Berry's copper plated. for hunting paper targets, they can't be beat. i've been loading them 10% below max and have had no problems with cycling or any other issues. they are accurate for paper punching. good luck.

I load plated for 9mm, 45 ACP. Since i don't load to max velocities or +p pressures i never have an issue with them.

As for personal defense ammo, i do carry the 185gr. SWC in the 1911, and the Walther PPS.
Mostly when i'm wanting something with a little more penetration. Mostly in the woods.

I carry Sierra JHC for 2 legged defense.

I loaded 1000 Berry's plated bullets for 40sw. Mostly for a coworker, but I ended up keeping around 200 rnds at no cost to me but my time. We both shot them with excellent results. I had read to keep them at or near lead bullet velocities so that's what I did. Work great!

I don't have an issue with plated out of the Walther.
Lead is another story.
Almost impossible to load slow enough not to lead and get to cycle reliably.
Using Red Dot and Clays.
Darn 3.3" barrel!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back