Caribou Gear

Rifle for Kids

You could look at Sportsman's warehouse for a Howa Kuiu and then sell the stock or cut it and use it. You can hollow out the but stock on some of the Boyd's models and get at least 6 oz.. Probably a good bit more. I only mention Sportsman's cause they have them at $399-419. Which is a pretty good price I think.

I have a couple of .243s and really like them. One's an ancient Remington model 600 w/ an 18" barrel. I used it on a mulie doe hunt as recent as last year. If I never hunted anything bigger than deer I'd probably just stick with that.

That said, you're reloading for a 7-08 and your kids are shooting yours without trouble (??). That's a good reason to go with the 7-08. Of the models you mentioned, I've shot the Winchester XPR and the Ruger American. Once you get past the cruddy accu-triggers found on practically all budget rifles anymore, I was not impressed with the Ruger (long story) but was impressed with the XPR.

A number of years ago I bought my wife a left handed Savage Axis. It was cheap, but has wound up being very accurate and reliable. If I was looking for a budget rifle in 7-08, that's probably where I'd start, just based on my own experience.

Here's why I hate the .243 for kids: whenever an adult talks about how they can kill anything with it, they always refer to accuracy and shot selection. Young hunters are generally not experts at either. Both are important and need to be taught but being taught and being proficient are almost opposite things.

I know that is sacrilegious but I think its the truth.

It's easier to teach a kid to shoot a .243 accurately than a 7/08. Especially compact sized ones.

Anyhoo, a gutshot with a 7/08 isn't going to be any less of a rodeo that with a .243.. And I'm sure not going to compensate for a kid's lack of accuracy by giving him a bigger caliber bullet.

It's easier to teach a kid to shoot a .243 accurately than a 7/08. Especially compact sized ones.

Anyhoo, a gutshot with a 7/08 isn't going to be any less of a rodeo that with a .243.. And I'm sure not going to compensate for a kid's lack of accuracy by giving him a bigger caliber bullet.

I've got nothing against the .243, it's just that I can already load the 7mm-08 down to .243 recoil levels and have the versatility of heavier bullets down the line when the kids are bigger.

Regarding the post above, you looking to get something you can reload down for for him or are you looking for a rifle for him?

In the budget rifle battles, my personal preference is the savage. I've got two axisll rifles, one a youth in 243, the other a 30-06 in stainless. Both shoot well and feel better to me than the Ruger american, but damn they're ugly. If you look, you can probably find a youth package in the model 10 in 7mm hunttalk, maybe, if it's what you want, with that purple camo crap. Kids I've been around seem to like it. and that's what it's all about.

Who said gutshot? Not me! I said accuracy and shot selection. If you want to pretend a .243 can do the same job as the 7-08 go ahead. In the field stuff happens to experienced hunters much less beginners, I will gladly compensate with a bigger heavier bullet.

You are correct about teaching them to shoot but that is why there is reduced recoil loads. And like mentioned you can use full strength loads while hunting now or in the future.

Truthfully I think we are both splitting hairs, I'm just on the other side of the argument.....and I was taught on a .243 like thousands of others.

I understand wanting compact rifles for you but heavier rifles kick less than lighter ones. My kids (all started at 10) never had issues with regular stock lengths. They used a 257 Roberts because we owned one.

I'm going to back VA's six on this one. I've never been a proponent of the .24 caliber for big game. Yeah, Yeah, Yeah I know "shot placement" and all that. BUT, I remember like it was 30 seconds ago, how I felt, what the sight picture was, and even the pressure of the trigger.... I was not that steady. Yes, I did pull off a descent shot, but the bigger hole theorem paid off.

CDNN has Winchester XPR's for $299 with free shipping. 243 compact XPR would be pretty nice setup.

My thought as well. Both my 7yo and my 10yo can shoot the 243 more than acceptably and both took whitetails with it this year. The OP is in NY and there's nothing I wouldn't hunt in that state with a 243 with just a modicum of thought to bullet selection. For the game most youths are after, the "bigger" bullet of a 7-08 isn't going to tip many scales IMO...

You could look at Sportsman's warehouse for a Howa Kuiu and then sell the stock or cut it and use it. You can hollow out the but stock on some of the Boyd's models and get at least 6 oz.. Probably a good bit more. I only mention Sportsman's cause they have them at $399-419. Which is a pretty good price I think.

This is one of the frustrations of living in NY. You would never see a deal like this here. We don't really have huge sporting goods chains like this, that can come up with great sales. Most gun stores are little mom and pop garages; nice folks and I like to support them, but no spectacular deals, like this one. (I called Sportsman's Warehouse, they won't ship.) Sweet deal!

DFT, PM me and I will give you more details.

The Howa option would actually be my first choice, but I didn't realize there was a way to get a better deal on the action. I'm looking at Brownells, where they are $450.00 and a short LOP stock on Boyds looks to be about 200 bucks... Would love more details on getting a deal on the action. Thanks!

I would also mention the T/C compass. I picked one up in the despised 6.5 creed, for 225 bucks. I am very impressed with accuracy and quality.

I strongly recommend the T/C Venture with weather shield finish. its a cerakote finish. I think the action and accuracy of this gun is way better than the price point suggests. you can pick them up new for $400. I don't think its even in the same class as the other rifles you had on your list. except the Howa, if you are interested in the extra effort it would take to get one set after buying the barreled action that could be a good way to go. if you want to buy the rifle ready to go, T/C all the way. I also think the Venture is much nicer than the T/C compass.

Ditch all your choices and go with a Rem 700 in either 243 or 7mm-08. The reason to go with the Rem is there are 1000% more aftermarket parts available for it. You can get better trigger or stock as they grow.

I agree that the 7MM-08 is a great choice for an all around caliber for youth, especially if you plan to hunt anything bigger than deer. I switched my daughter from a Rem 700 .243 (Youth Model) up to a Tikka Compact 7MM-08 in preparation for her first elk hunt this year. The 7-08 definitely has a little more kick than the .243 but it is manageable with lighter/low recoil loads for practicing. IMO - trigger time behind a scoped .22 is the key to confident youth when hunting season arrives.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back