Rifle for Kids

I would start with .243, plenty for ‘Lope and deer, very low recoil. I know OP referenced light rifles, but for youth 7mm08 can be a little "kicky" in a superlight compact.
If that's the case you can add weight to the forearm and stock pretty easy on Ruger American to moderate recoil if needed - several YouTube videos show how.
If you need to go heavier than 243 think 6.5x55, light on recoil and strong in down range effect. 140gr travelling at 2700fps has the knock down power of a 165gr 308 at 300yds. This is a really underrated calibre

a few years ago i bought a Savage 110 in 243 youth model for my wife, anyways, there was a coupon in the box for a stock upgrade to full-size for when the time comes that it's needed. i don't know if they still offer that deal, or if with the new stock design it's even needed. either way its worth checking out. as for caliber, the 7HT is a very versatile cartridge that will do well for most big game applications! good luck!

My son just shot the .243 youth axis. We started session with .223 axis to be comfortable. He didn't want to pull the trigger cause he got hit in cheek year before. I put a leather check pad on for him so he can be touching stock and see through scope. THAT has made all the difference. He pulled trigger and remembered he didn't need to be afraid. He shot few times and then said he wanted to try .243. I was like ok. He pulled trigger without any hesitation. His head popped up with shot and he said "ehh". Recoil was fine for him. GET A GOOD FIT what ever gun and make sure tight to stock. Use a pad or add a adjustable cheek piece if needed. I am thinking about getting Axis 2 6.5 creedmore and putting a brake on it if it is too much for him.

I was taught on a .243, although as soon as I was old enough to draw a tag my dad got me a .308. To me, in this area, a .243 is too light for deer. I know that statement will ruffle some feathers and I also know there have been thousands upon thousands of deer taken with it.
I just don't think that little 100gr. Bullet is the best tool for the job.

Well, I made a decision, though it wasn't what I'd originally intended. I got a good deal on a new TC Venture Compact in .308 win. While I would have preferred 7mm-08, this was an excellent deal on a rifle that had stayed pretty high on my list. After doing some calculations, it became clear that it would be pretty easy to load the .308 down to .243 level recoil, while still retaining plenty of power for hunting deer. And, as the kids get older, they'll have a rifle available that is well suited to hunting big, tough animals as well. Thanks for all the advice!

Well, I made a decision, though it wasn't what I'd originally intended. I got a good deal on a new TC Venture Compact in .308 win. While I would have preferred 7mm-08, this was an excellent deal on a rifle that had stayed pretty high on my list. After doing some calculations, it became clear that it would be pretty easy to load the .308 down to .243 level recoil, while still retaining plenty of power for hunting deer. And, as the kids get older, they'll have a rifle available that is well suited to hunting big, tough animals as well. Thanks for all the advice!

How many rifles do you own?

How many rifles do you own?

Don, I own two rifles, one scoped bolt action that I use for about 75% of my hunting and a peep sighted pump action that I use for bad weather and very thick woods. This is intended to be a family gun that each of my boys can use while they're just starting out. Who knows, maybe with 3 sons, I'll end up with another 1 or 2 "family guns" down the line, but maybe I'll just make them each save up and get their own after a few years... I didn't grow up in a hunting family and had to save up for my first firearm; a Mossberg 500 that I got when I was 13 and still use today, almost 30 years later. (Jeez, maybe I should start saving for a new shotgun for myself!:D)

I have had several of the guns you are looking at over time. Currently I have Savage Axis in .243 and a TC Venture in HT-08. I cannot say anything negative about any of the guns; my Savage I had to replace the trigger to get it light enough to accurately shoot and the TC Venture was really really good right out of the box. I find that I reach for my TC on most hunts that I go on and can load the gun according to the game I will be hunting from antelope to elk and it is super accurate. I would suggest a real look at the Venture or a Tikka in either the 7MM-08 or .308 with reduced recoil loads.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back