Rifle for Kids

Dougfirtree

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a rifle that my kids can use as they begin hunting big game (one with a shorter LOP, etc.). I'd be curious to hear the thoughts of any who have done this in the past. Any favorite rifles/ones to stay away from? I'm looking for a bolt action rifle, preferably in 7mm-08 (though I could be persuaded towards another similar chambering). I have a scope for it that is a tad on the heavy side, so I'd like to keep the weight as close to 6 pounds as possible, don't want to go over 7. All advice welcome and appreciated! My budget probably tops out around 500 and I'd love to keep it lower.

Here's what I've been exploring so far:

Ruger American compact
TC Venture compact
Browning AB3 Micro
Winchester XPR compact
Howa lightweight action with some sort of shorter, lighter stock...

You are on the right track with any of those choices. You might also look at the Weatherby Vanguard youth model that has an adjustable stock. Take you son or daughter to the shop and let them see how they fit.

Last edited:
For the cheap end. You can get a Savage axis 2. There not fancy, but shoot well. I picked up a Browning Abolt 3 micro, for my daughter, last year. I feel its better made. It also has brownings 60 degree bolt-throw, so your hand doesn't hit the scope when cycling. And its shoots good with the different rounds i reloaded.

Remington 700 ADL youth 6 3/4 lbs can be found at the $400 mark and in 7mm-08.

I have three Ruger American rifles, one of witch is a youth copact model.
They cycle great and shoot very well. The .308 youth rifle is a little light for that caliber, but 7mm-08, 6.5, or 243 are super good choice in the Ruger American youth rifles.

I would start with .243, plenty for ‘Lope and deer, very low recoil. I know OP referenced light rifles, but for youth 7mm08 can be a little "kicky" in a superlight compact.
If that's the case you can add weight to the forearm and stock pretty easy on Ruger American to moderate recoil if needed - several YouTube videos show how.

Last edited:
I would start with .243, plenty for ‘Lope and deer, very low recoil. I know OP referenced light rifles, but for youth 7mm08 can be a little "kicky" in a superlight compact.
If that's the case you can add weight to the forearm and stock pretty easy on Ruger American to moderate recoil if needed - several YouTube videos show how.

I'd be loading it down for now. My kids have been shooting my 7mm-08 recently. 145 grain speer hot cors at about 2400fps; like a 30-30 with a decent bc. They have no trouble with it. I hear you though. Main reason I want that caliber is that I already have all the reloading stuff around and it's more versatile than the .243 for the future.

I second 7-08 over the .243. If recoil is an issue get hornady reduced ammo. Similarl energy and recoil as .243 with a bigger hole.

As far as a gun any of the ones mentioned are good choices. A good used gun that has aftermarket youth stocks is another option. Also, weight is an issue but a little extra weight supported by shooting sticks or a bipod is a good option for recoil sensitive shooters.

I really can't see any reason to not start kids on .243's.. In related matters, I also have a hard time not seeing to use it during adulthood.

Used Tikka compact or the Howa Kuiu. You might find a Full sized Tikka a little easier (cheaper) and swap stocks.

Used Tikka compact or the Howa Kuiu. You might find a Full sized Tikka a little easier (cheaper) and swap stocks.

A used Tikka would be great, but they're extremely rare around here and not much on gun broker either. I've also been really unimpressed with their recoil pads, which will matter on this one.

I'd love to just buy a Howa lightweight action and get a short stock for it. However, the stock options (that I've found), either push me over the weight I'm looking for, or they're very expensive.

For my daughter(Hunting Princess) I used a Howa SA HT-08 action on a Boyd's thumbhole featherweight. Have you checked that out? Action, stock and gun smithing should be right around the 500 mark. You can get a good deal from Matt @ LSI on the action. HPs rig shoots very well.

Attachments

• gun 2.jpg
    gun 2.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 535
Another option, model seven compact, 7mm-08 https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/26401

I went the same route as SFC, but with a mini-action in 222 Rem for my kids first centerfire. The mini-action with 12.5 inch LOP Boyds stock is a short, compact, lightweight rig. I might do another in 6.5 Grendel for kids' big game starter rifle.

Can't say enough good things about the REM. model seven.
The Ruger American rifle is a better priced gun though, and very good shooter.

For my daughter(Hunting Princess) I used a Howa SA HT-08 action on a Boyd's thumbhole featherweight. Have you checked that out? Action, stock and gun smithing should be right around the 500 mark. You can get a good deal from Matt @ LSI on the action. HPs rig shoots very well.

The Howa option would actually be my first choice, but I didn't realize there was a way to get a better deal on the action. I'm looking at Brownells, where they are $450.00 and a short LOP stock on Boyds looks to be about 200 bucks... Would love more details on getting a deal on the action. Thanks!

Another option, model seven compact, 7mm-08 https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/26401

I went the same route as SFC, but with a mini-action in 222 Rem for my kids first centerfire. The mini-action with 12.5 inch LOP Boyds stock is a short, compact, lightweight rig. I might do another in 6.5 Grendel for kids' big game starter rifle.

That is an outstanding price. Tempting...

If you go the Howa route, you should be able to have your local dealer (FFL) order direct from Legacy. I ended up at a total of roughly $700 into my son's mini-action. That included a barreled action, Boyds stock, and final inlet/glass bed job by a local gunsmith, tax, and extra magazine, etc... (not optics). It was a little more than I wanted to spend, but my son was able to pick out the stock, laminate pattern/color, and checkering pattern he wanted. An additional bonus, my gunsmith is going to make some spacers so we can grow the stock with the boy. I don't think you will ever save money going semi-custom, but you get exactly what you want.

Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back