Public land duck suggestions

If you like to work really hard for your ducks, come to coastal North Carolina.
It’s a great place to hunt but pretty hard for non guided diy’ers. But not impossible. It is a very reliable place to draw a swan tag and kill one. There are plenty of scoters here. A great variety of ducks is possible depending on your desires. If you decide to come pm me I’ll give you some particulars. I live here. But as NCSULewis said some counties(a couple of the better coastal ones)have screwed up laws that greatly hamper all of us non connected ones’ access. So I go and hunt the central flyway every chance I get.
THERE ARE MANY PLACES WHERE YOUR DUCK TO EFFORT RATIO WILL BE MUCH, MUCH BETTER

I also would highly recommend Saskatchewan!

Prefer to bank hunt if possible but we do have a boat set up. Field hunting would be third on the list. Thanks for all the input so far.

There are several public places in Missouri that have good access. We are separated into 3 zones, north, middle and south, and between the three zones season runs from the beginning of November through the end of January (approximately). Admittedly some can be difficult and have a daily draw system every morning but there are a lot of lakes and rivers with public access.

Being a resident of ND I can say that other than a few other spots if you stay in the central part of the state from the Canadian border and run south the SD you should consistently find good numbers all the way down. Weather plays a large factor in the fall. Usually lots of small pot holes and some good sized lakes all the way and obvious agriculture. Send me a pm if you want better info.

There are several public places in Missouri that have good access. We are separated into 3 zones, north, middle and south, and between the three zones season runs from the beginning of November through the end of January (approximately). Admittedly some can be difficult and have a daily draw system every morning but there are a lot of lakes and rivers with public access.

Missouri offers excellent public duck hunting with the note that most heavily managed areas require specialized layout boats for the concealment necessary to be consistently successful. You also have to have full parties to be drawing with full odds at many sites and be ready to hunt every other day on weekdays and maybe every 3rd day on weekends when the birds are in. I would say Missouri has the best public duck hunting to be had in the Mississippi flyway if done right. The problem is going in with a jonboat and sitting on buckets will only net mediocre pass shooting from flooded corn, smart weed or millet. The birds on Missouri public are concentrated but hunted very hard.

If you come in from the mentality of being surprised about launch times or cut off times and looking to bank hunt Missouri isn't probably going to be a great option.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back