Caribou Gear Tarp

Old guns, bismuth or tungsten for ducks??

beginnerhunter

I have a couple old guns I'd like to use a few times for nostalgia. A 12 gauge fixed full choke and a 16 gauge fixed modified. Neither is approved for steel.

Contacted hevishot and they recommend classic doubles but said their other tungsten loads weren't appropriate. Classic doubles generally haven't been highly rated.

Anybody used Kent bismuth or tungsten, or Rio bismuth??

Their concern might be the charge weight. I’d be careful on that. I might buy some classic doubles for my 16 gauge.

I have used bismuth, did not work well for me.

I would not overdo it on your older guns. If your taking them, its more about them than the ducks, so just get them in close. I will pull one out every once in awhile, always early season, no weather days.

Not used in an older gun, but Kent Bismuth did well for me this year in Iowa on pheasants, a duck, and a rabbit.

RST makes good shells in Bismuth. The Rio shells I have heard are decent but I don't know if the pressure rating is compatible with older guns. Their Bismuth was a little on the brittle side but I think they have changed their formula recently. Best bet is to try all the shells that have a pressure rating that works in your gun an pattern them.

Be sure to check your chamber size. A 2-3/4" shell might fit but they could be 2-1/2 (2-5/8 was standard).
Maybe consider loading your own. Ballistic Products has supplies and load recipes that you could load without an expensive press using a roll crimp and pre-primed hulls.

Well they aren't terribly old. Both built in the 60s and designed for duck hunting. The 12 gauge is a winchester 1400 and the 16 gauge is an 870 wingmaster. It's the hardness of the steel I'm most concerned with.

I use my dad's model 12 for special occasions, usually one waterfowl trip a year. I've used both rio and kent bismuth with good results.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back