Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

No feral hogs in MT, but a few questions

We don't want pigs, but we don't want anybody to shoot one either?
Surely there's some logical reason behind this, but I'm not seeing it. I understand why we wouldn't want it commercialized to where they held a value to continue their existence like game species, but to not be able to kill a hog.....?

By doing so I believe the state is not only trying to prevent the commercialization of hog hunting but also the sport, which is harder to manage. Yes I know hogs are tough on native animals and their habitat, and for that reason I can gladly justify killing every one regardless of sex or age. I also know that if hogs are eradicated I'm going to miss all the extra hunting opportunities especially since it extends my hunting season and they are really fun to stalk.

I'm just a common still hunter that enjoys extra targets. Take a hunter that is serious about it and has a lot of time and money invested in dogs and equipment. Just as every other hunter believes in conversation and preserving animals for another hunt, the serious hog hunter is no different. Sport and hunting heritage is prevalent in the southeast. I believe that sport mentality is what MT is trying to avoid.

My friend's ranch didn't have any hogs until the high fence "hunting ranch" across the road released them. The hogs escaped and now he has hogs.

It states "The 2015 Montana Legislature apparently agreed, passing a proactive bill to outlaw sport shooting of hogs to keep people from seeing them as a game species, according to Nick Gevock, conservation director for the Montana Wildlife Federation. North Dakota has a similar law.

"The bill was very carefully crafted," Gevock said.

Apparently they're still jumping the border "F-Covid... we bring you hell instead..." joining their companions already residing in this great state.

Govt trappers / shooters, predator regulations, or "big" game future?

Will be interesting as this has been gaining un-noticed State traction.

In this article; http://missoulian.com/lifestyles/re...cle_604f0e3b-bcda-5d9f-814b-02f4756d7ec3.html

It states "The 2015 Montana Legislature apparently agreed, passing a proactive bill to outlaw sport shooting of hogs to keep people from seeing them as a game species, according to Nick Gevock, conservation director for the Montana Wildlife Federation. North Dakota has a similar law.

Senate Bill 100 set a minimum fine of $2,000 for anyone who is caught transporting, importing or possessing feral swine, as well as anyone feeding or trapping, hunting or profiting from the release of wild hogs. Landowners can kill the pigs on their property if they pose an "immediate threat of harm to a person or property."

Surely there's some logical reason behind this, but I'm not seeing it. I understand why we wouldn't want it commercialized to where they held a value to continue their existence like game species, but to not be able to kill a hog.....?

Less importantly, how does the Musselshel flow from south to north into Ft. Peck, yet have a tributary come from Canada to Sako?
I wish they would have done this down here 15 years ago. The feral hog infestation would not be to the scale it is now. If it would have been enforced that is.

Most of the current land area that is infested by feral swine here got that way from either intentional or accidental release of hogs. Hog hunters here are notorious for catching hogs with their dogs and transporting to public land. They made no real attempt to hide it in the past.

A few years ago the transport of live feral swine became illegal here. The law is pretty widely ignored from what I see. Lot's of people in this area hog hunt with dogs. They have no desire to help control the population. The more hogs the better the hunting as far as many are concerned.

In this article; http://missoulian.com/lifestyles/re...cle_604f0e3b-bcda-5d9f-814b-02f4756d7ec3.html

Senate Bill 100 set a minimum fine of $2,000 for anyone who is caught transporting, importing or possessing feral swine, as well as anyone feeding or trapping, hunting or profiting from the release of wild hogs. Landowners can kill the pigs on their property if they pose an "immediate threat of harm to a person or property."

Less importantly, how does the Musselshel flow from south to north into Ft. Peck, yet have a tributary come from Canada to Sako?
Hogs have in large part taken over many states because people stocked them in order to be able to have something to hunt. If hunting them is illegal, then there is no reason to stock them.

Hogs have in large part taken over many states because people stocked them in order to be able to have something to hunt. If hunting them is illegal, then there is no reason to stock them.
Huh. What is your suggestion on controlling the population?

This has been successful in ND thus far, and is Montana’s plan as well.

This has been successful in ND thus far, and is Montana’s plan as well.

Completely agree for states with small numbers or where the pigs are just beginning their infestation. I was speaking more to the problem we have here. We need all means available to control them. In January alone I trapped (which is the best method by far) 25 hogs most of which were pregnant sows. The few that I cut open had 7 little ones each. Given that they reproduce at a young age and have more than 1 litter a year it doesn’t take long for it to get out of hand. Problem we have is getting landowners on the same page. Some could care less while others like me are aggressively fighting the problem.

"Carpet bombing with nuclear warheads."

At one time, Texas A&M was developing a swine specific poison.
Either it didn't work or the "powers that be" (re: gummint) decided against it.

The "Noble Foundation" in southern Oklahoma did extensive research on feral hogs
Shoot them, they go nocturnal.
Trap them and the sounder relocates.

Short of a nuclear holocaust, we will have feral hogs.

The state has to eradicate them, not hunters. If hunters are allowed to hunt for them, there will always be midnight hog stockings out of the back of a pickup. This only works with a manageable number of hogs, sounds like your state is way beyond that.

"Carpet bombing with nuclear warheads."

At one time, Texas A&M was developing a swine specific poison.
Either it didn't work or the "powers that be" (re: gummint) decided against it.

The "Noble Foundation" in southern Oklahoma did extensive research on feral hogs
Shoot them, they go nocturnal.
Trap them and the sounder relocates.

Short of a nuclear holocaust, we will have feral hogs.
That poison was shot down as no way to keep other animals from it and how does one tell if a hog has eaten poison and then you shoot it for food?
My spouse's family place works with Noble Found. on deer and hog management. Trapping does work for removing numbers, brother in law trapped and removed over 100 hogs in one month a few years back from one trap set location. However it does not removes the problem completely.

Agreed. Hate it, but agreed. At least they're good eating.
We actually managed to all but eradicate feral swine from our corner of the Parish (County for everyone else) about 20 or 25 years ago through year round trapping and hunting. It took 5 years or so and there was a lot of land/ landowners involved in the effort. It lasted about a decade until the hog dog mania hit 10 or 15 years ago.

The population has since exploded due to hog dog mania.

We actually managed to all but eradicate feral swine from our corner of the Parish (County for everyone else) about 20 or 25 years ago through year round trapping and hunting. It took 5 years or so and there was a lot of land/ landowners involved in the effort. It lasted about a decade until the hog dog mania hit 10 or 15 years ago.

The population has since exploded due to hog dog mania.
Yeah, I've seen the same cause real problems here too. Half the hog hunters get upset when people go to actually killing hogs 🙄

Yeah, I've seen the same cause real problems here too. Half the hog hunters get upset when people go to actually killing hogs 🙄
My area of OK has an entire industry of both "hog dogs" (pit bull, cane corso) and "coyote dogs" (grey hounds).
Both forms of hunting call for the "hunters"(?) to release their cursed dogs to run the preferred game anywhere across the landscape.
If crops, fences or livestock are damaged, the principle parties are seldom around to be held responsible.
Most are ignorant and belligerent and think (laughably) they're doing the community a service.

By doing so I believe the state is not only trying to prevent the commercialization of hog hunting but also the sport, which is harder to manage. Yes I know hogs are tough on native animals and their habitat, and for that reason I can gladly justify killing every one regardless of sex or age. I also know that if hogs are eradicated I'm going to miss all the extra hunting opportunities especially since it extends my hunting season and they are really fun to stalk.

I'm just a common still hunter that enjoys extra targets. Take a hunter that is serious about it and has a lot of time and money invested in dogs and equipment. Just as every other hunter believes in conversation and preserving animals for another hunt, the serious hog hunter is no different. Sport and hunting heritage is prevalent in the southeast. I believe that sport mentality is what MT is trying to avoid.
Generally once hogs get established they are with you for life! They have large litters and good mama's. Naw your leg off! Fun to hunt great to eat but they need to be controlled.

Shoot.Sausage. Shut up.
A new twist on the three Sss’s that wolf killin’ barstool biologists should have perfected by now.

I understand, they tried establish the red wolf in NC, they interbred with coyotes and created the super dog. Shoot shovel shut up took care of that, but they still have the super dog, looks like rin tin tin.

Back