Checking in from Ohio

652nineOH

Well, after listening to many of Randy's podcasts and watching most of the Fresh Tracks series I've finally registered here. I'm very excited to see a community like this group, as the general hunting attitude on most popular sites and forums is just... not my style.

I grew up and still reside in Central Ohio, rural Licking County to be specific with an outdoor minded family that valued hunting for food when I was young. However, my Dad started a construction business when I was about 11 and within a few years he was making a great living (which was obviously wonderful), but, the hunting aspect of our lives rapidly migrated from sustainability and sustenance to sport and vanity. I fell out of touch with Hunting when I was about 15 after making a bad shot on a whitetail doe that I knew I shouldn't have taken but was pressured by dad sitting next to me. The doe made it about 500 yards over 20 minutes before we were able to get a good shot on it to end it's misery. I was never the same after that and only hunted a few times after for upland birds and a some squirrels.

Now I'm 35, and have have re-acclimated to hunting - thanks to people like Randy & Steve Rinella, and writers like Aldo Leopold, Duncan Gilchrist, and Ted Kerasote. All of which present a very different hunting and fishing mindset than what I have been exposed to growing up.

I plan to apply for a tag or 2 out west in the coming weeks, something I wouldn't have dreamed of a few short years ago. So, thank you all for the network of information, public land advocacy, and like-mindedness that I do not typically come across in the private land dominated state I am from.

-Josh

I-O

Eastern Ohio here. I'll be in your area at the spring Deer Turkey Expo in early March. Any questions, shoot me a pm.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back