Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

2017 Hunting Season in Review from ND, SD, WY, and HI

alwayshunting

Here is a review with mostly pictures of my 2017 hunting season. I had another very memorable year. The year started off with my wife shooting this turkey at 18 yards after calling it off of some private land onto public. I get so much more enjoyment out of watching her excitement then for me to shoot the bird.

IMG_1229.jpg

Next I met up with a friend in the Black Hills who took me on my first out of state turkey hunt.

IMG_1243.jpg

Back in North Dakota I was able to fill my resident turkey tag on public land. While hunting I found a deer that did not make it through the winter. His bottom teeth were wore down to almost nothing.

IMG_1297.jpgIMG_1263.jpg

Next came Hawaii. Earlier I posted my Mouflon sheep story on HuntTalk.

IMG_1324.jpg

Next came Wyoming antelope. My brother in law from California had never been hunting and asked me to take him. He, my wife, and I each drew two doe tags near Casper and had a great hunt. It was nice being able to hunt a unit with ample public land. All of my previous WY antelope hunts were in the NE corner of the state with limited access. We filled all six tags in a few day and I think my brother in law is hooked on both the hunting experience and being able to fill his freezer with meat.

IMG_1378.jpgIMG_1390.jpgIMG_1399.jpgIMG_1407.jpg

I came back to ND in time to help a buddy fill his ND antelope tag. Our tags are quite limited and typically take a number of years to draw.

IMG_1415.jpg

I spent a number of evenings out after pheasants and ducks. My daughter loves being in the outdoors and I look forward to her going on more hunts next year.

IMG_1429.jpg

In early September I was out shooting my longbow the day before the archery opener and I became frustrated with my shooting. I went home and ordered a compound bow. I had been shooting a longbow since I was only a few years old and had been deer hunting with it for the last ten years and had yet to shoot a deer due to my limited range (which was due to my limited practice). In the middle of September I shot a compound for the first time and loved it from the beginning. I was amazed at how proficient (compared to my longbow) I was able to become. I shot a few arrows almost every day for the next two months. My goal was to get a buck this year, but I was not going to be picky. I spotted a few while hunting in the badlands, but never had one in good stalking position.

20170905_174711.jpgIMG_1419.jpg

Finally towards the end of October I spotted a buck bedded in a CRP field with my spotting scope. There ended up being two other bedded bucks in the area which was going to make the stalk difficult. I was able to cover the first quarter mile pretty easily, but the last couple hundred yards was on hands and knees due to the other bucks being in view. I ended up on a slight crest with the wind in my face and the buck facing me but it was still out of range. From that point forward I inched closer with my belly scraping for another twenty yards. At that point I was exhausted and not sure how I would ever get my arrow nocked let alone a shot off. While stretching my neck some movement caught my eye. The buck had stood up on its own and started walking broadside. I was able to get my bow ready, kneel up, and draw back. While doing so the buck stopped perfectly broadside. Just as I went to squeeze the trigger he spotted me and snapped his head in my direction. I panicked and jerked the trigger. My arrow hit far back and high. I was fortunate to hit an artery and he only went 18 yards. There were a lot of thoughts and emotions after finally taking a big game animal with the bow after so many years and days of trying.

IMG_1456.jpg

A month later I headed to the badlands for two days with a mule deer doe rifle tag, but chose to leave the rifle at home. I had a lot of close calls the first day and saw plenty of deer including one very nice 6x5. Late the second morning I was able to make a stalk on a lone doe and fill my last tag of the year. A few days later I was able to help my wife and dad fill their rifle deer tags. This year resulted in a full freezer and had many great memories in the field for me to think about while I start to plan next year’s hunting season.

IMG_1472.jpg

Wow, heck of a season! Congrats on a well earned archery buck! You will remember that hunt forever! Thanks for sharing

Wow, when did you have time to work? Looks like you had fun, congrats!!!

Back