Another WY help thread...

Festus

Got 8 elk pts. Looking for rifle this year (type 1 I guess is possible to go archery also if time works out). Choices down to (but not set in stone yet) 7, 19, 49 in the special. We are not used to hunting all the tough access with checker board and sage country. Unit 7 and 19 have some WIA and HMA's. Are they worth it or do they just get pounded? Trying to explore ALL options before I commit.
Advice? Anyone?

I would suggest you have a access plan before you apply to those, be a dam shame to burn points on a tag you can barely use(atleast on lands that hold elk). I have never understood how nonres save that many points! Lol... i would of burned them on a general years ago.

Good luck
Chris

I've been concentrating on archery hunts all winter but buddy thinks we should go rifle now...obviously different draw strategy.
I understood that some of the HMA's are unlimited in number for permission. No?

ccc: We have been going to MT for the last six or seven years and would like to use these pts - now that the price is right.

I've been concentrating on archery hunts all winter but buddy thinks we should go rifle now...obviously different draw strategy.
I understood that some of the HMA's are unlimited in number for permission. No?

ccc: We have been going to MT for the last six or seven years and would like to use these pts - now that the price is right.

Listen to the previous reply in post #2 about having access BEFORE you apply and draw a tag. Just look up the various HMAs on the G&F website and you'll see what the requirements are for each and also what the rules are to hunt each one if you have a tag.

Listen to the previous reply in post #2 about having access BEFORE you apply and draw a tag. Just look up the various HMAs on the G&F website and you'll see what the requirements are for each and also what the rules are to hunt each one if you have a tag.

This ^^^ The vast majority of the HMAs in 7 are antlerless elk only or don't open until the antlerless only season opens. Some may have an opportunity to hunt a bull elk, but you would have to enter and be drawn for that particular HMA access period. If you go to 7, recommend a good GPS with the On X maps landowner chip. Lots of national forest is land locked by private.

Back