Burn areas

sdhockin

Hello Everyone, First post on the forum, so to speak.
I'm wondering if there is a place to find where recent burns have occurred, say the last two years, in western Montana? I believe I've seen a post about such a place, but can't remember where?
Also is a burn, say this past summer/fall, some place to put in some time for Elk/Muley's in early Sept.? or is it too soon?
Taking into account the burn is at the right altitude, and other variables.

Thanks, Shawn

x2 for the OnX Maps layer. It's pretty slick

Hunting last year's burn is not too soon. There should be plenty of new grass coming up this spring/summer as long as the ground wasn't absolutely nuked, and the animals will be on it.

Last edited:
OnX Maps brother. It will show recent and historical burns. If you are hunting in public land, pay for their service...its super cheap. It also shows private land

You could also look for black trees. That's usually a good indicator of fire. Oh and smoke.

Hi Guys, finally re-located one of the place's I'd been looking at a few months ago, Does this look like a burn or beetle kill, thanks in advance.
Shawn

Burn.jpg

Your pic is of a burn sd.

Beetle kill will be less pronounced.

Thank You, now I know what I'm looking when I see this on google earth,
I've been scouring locations for about a year in that area looking for hopeful locations, I hope to make a week scouting trip out there the problem is it's about a twenty hour drive one way for me so chances are slim it will happen, also getting drawn is a factor.
Shawn

Last edited:
Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajjones
Back