Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

how much weight does an ultralight knife really save?

All I ever carry is a havalon with 4-5 blades. Usually 2 blades will get me completely through a bull elk...boned with head/jaw/hide removed.

my benchmade hidden canyon hunter weighs 4.25 oz - that includes the sheath. that's less than your lightest "ultralight" option and includes a normal wood handle. Is it really necessary to sacrifice comfort for "ultralight". I'd say absolutely not....

With the exception of a moose hunt in AK where you have to bring out the ribs intact I can't possible imagine a reason for an ax on a backpack hunt.

What need would there be for a bone saw?

I haven't used a bone saw for a long time...the only thing I could think of to use one would be to cut antlers/horns off the skull. I leave my Wyoming saw in camp until after I shoot something, then carry it back on a return trip if I want to cut antlers off. I never pack a saw with me while hunting.

As far as knives, I carry a havalon and about 8 or so blades. I usually have a really light buck (smaller one) too...just in case.

The point about "ultralight knives" is how many great and inexpensive 3 oz or less options exist, but how many guys may not realize the 6" huntin'/survival knife there are packing weighs 1 lb in a sheath.

Somehow I don't think a few ounces is going to make or break a hunt when people are already packing rangefinders, wind meters, shooting sticks, binos, giant long range scopes with turrets and whatever else of the latest gizmos so many think they can't do without.

overloaded-backpack.jpg

There's the backpacker who goes hunting during hunting season, and the hunter who sometimes goes backpacking. One is not better than the other, but they are not the same creature.

This is where a few ozs make a difference.

Throwing a red hearing in the discussion aye there Gr8bawana. Not sure claiming one can do without binos or optics of any kind is in the same vein of discussion as why is a light knife better than a heavier one.

I pack a havalon and small pocket knife on backpack trips, for shorter backpack hunts with less food, I'll bring a forchner boning knife as well. Can't say that I know of many/anyone that actually backpacks for moose, if so they aren't very far off the road/trail.

Once you go on a true backpack hunt, where you pack your camp with you every day. You will have plenty of time to think about all the chit you have in your pack that you can live without.

Throwing a red hearing in the discussion aye there Gr8bawana. Not sure claiming one can do without binos or optics of any kind is in the same vein of discussion as why is a light knife better than a heavier one.

Never said anyone could do without binos or optics of any kid. We're carrying those no matter what so those 3 or 4 ounces saved from a knife is not going to make a difference is what I'm saying.

Never said anyone could do without binos or optics of any kid. We're carrying those no matter what so those 3 or 4 ounces saved from a knife is not going to make a difference is what I'm saying.

Ah sorry, misunderstood.

That said I cut my pack weight in half from my first backpack elk hunt buy using the ultra light geek method. Yeah you kinda feel like a tool sawing off tooth brushes and stuff but my 5-7 day kit for late season elk with 4L of water and rifle is around 45 lbs.

unless you save 3-4 ounces on 10 items.

I haven't weighed my forchner fibrox boning knives but the manufacturer states that they weigh 1.7 ounces. The Havalon Piranta with an extra blade weights 3 ounces per an article on Rokslide. Seems like there isn't that much difference between carrying two boning knives (3.4 oz) or one Havalon with an extra blade (3 oz). Just an observation.

Back to the original question.
how much weight does an ultralight knife really save?

My opinion, and common sense, not enough to matter (unless we are going with the ax theory). Fun banter anyway.

Real question, should I freeze my water before packing it in to save some weight?

Back