Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

how much weight does an ultralight knife really save?

stu_manji

I'm not really a backpack aficionado but I've really got to wondering about the whole skeleton/handleless ultralight knife. I mean you're saving a few ounces by having just a metal handle and blade, but then everyone wraps paracord around it anyways because it sucks holding on to the thin metal handle.

help me understand fellas....

I don't know much about them, but we have 2 custom Tom Barminski knives we're trying to sell that are just like what you're describing. I'm sure they weigh similar to my Outdoor Edge Swing Blaze knife once you add the weight of the HD leather sheath they come with. I prefer something to skin or "unzip" them with vs. a straight blade knife only.
Let me know if your interested in one of them and I'll send pictures.

I don't understand this and a lot of other ultralight hot items either. A stout fixed blade knife is quite valuable when in the woods, not to mention far more durable. I would not get too caught up with the ultralight items...hell I pack a 375 H&H on my mountain hunts for moose, mountain goat, elk, bear, and deer and it doesn't bother me at all.

Enough to make the added weight of two Wilderness Athlete Mountain Berry Rebar energy protein supplements unnoticeable.

Did some weights to compare. Readings are in ounces and include sheaths.

Swing Blaze
IMG_4418.JPG

Tom Barminski #1
IMG_4419.JPG

Tom Barminski #2
IMG_4420.JPG

Just for fun, The Ka Bar
IMG_4421.JPG

I think the general idea is that if you bring 20 things into the woods and save 4 ounces on every single item over a heavier version you just eliminated 5lbs from your pack.

Last edited:
To me, a knife is so important I gotta carry two. Presently, that means a fairly standard but not overbuilt Benchmade Steep Country Hunter. Its economical with weight, but still plenty solid and comfortable. Secondarily, I have a Buck ultralight model as backup. I want a knife that is stout enough to use with a baton (hit with a stick) or crack into a joint and it will hold up. Lightweight folders will buckle under that kind of use. It's kind of like a rifle. I will definitely pay more to carry a 6 pound rifle, but below that, you're giving up performance for not a lot of benefit. Some people kind of get silly when it comes to shaving ounces.

How much does it save? Not much of course. But I went about the last 3 years boning out elk (3), deer (3), antelope (3), and caping bears (2) with a single Victorinox 3" parer on each trip. That includes undoing joints and taking off skulls. They are like $6-$7/ea and I use them around the house after a couple re-sharpenings. It weighs 1.0 oz with a homemade "sheath". I also have a tiny swiss army knife that is always in my emergency kit. It weighs 0.7 oz.

I get why people prefer the feel of a good solid blade or high quality custom knives; I had a couple of Winston's that were really nice to use. But I used to think it was necessary, and in my experience it just isn't. If I like the performance of a 1 ounce knife, no reason not to save a bit. If you're not backpacking it barely matters, and if you are it can always be argued that a few ounces still doesn't; as wllm noted, it's kinda more about the mentality.

There's the backpacker who goes hunting during hunting season, and the hunter who sometimes goes backpacking. One is not better than the other, but they are not the same creature.

I carry a Havalon replacement blade knife. I save a little weight because it’s light and I don’t have to carry a sharpening stone. The big difference is the time it saves me cleaning animals, especially elk, because my knife is always razor sharp and I don’t waste time sharpening dull blades.

I'm in the carry 2 camp as well. As of this year one of those is the Gerber vital folder weighing in at a whopping 1.3 oz. Seems like a really good lightweight option.

But I went about the last 3 years boning out elk (3), deer (3), antelope (3), and caping bears (2) with a single Victorinox 3" parer on each trip. That includes undoing joints and taking off skulls. They are like $6-$7/ea and I use them around the house after a couple re-sharpenings. It weighs 1.0 oz with a homemade "sheath"..

This ^ . Those little Victorinox parring knives are awesome.

Jeez mate if you want to save weight that bad you need to lighten a knife may as well shave every hair off your body, might save a couple ounces there too! Haha with all due respect I really think this ultralight stuff is getting our of control. I backpack hunt just fine and I don't own anything that's marketed as being light or ultralight.

I doubt I will ever be great friends with an 'ultra-lighter'. My mindset has begun to swing back toward working just as hard at making my camp and experience safe, comfortable and luxurious as many do trying to cut ounces. If being a gear junkie is your thing, more power to ya, but I feel like not having the "right" gear is becoming an unnecessary impediment for too many people these days. My dad gutted his first deer with a steak knife. I'm fairly sure I could get KUIU to work on a prototype of an ultralight version if I sent them a picture of me straddling a giant bull elk with a steak knife in my teeth.

Taking a cue from a couple of posts above, I just went to the Victronox site and they have a Swiss Classic Gourmet Steak knife with a 4.7" blade that weighs 1.6 oz. Oh yeah, it's $9.00 + tax and shipping. That's a pretty good sounding option!

I think the general idea is that if you bring 20 things into the woods and save 4 ounces on every single item over a heavier version you just eliminated 5lbs from your pack.

^This is the idea...apparently it's hard for some folks to wrap their heads around the concept.

I carry a Mora fixed blade and a Havalon that each fill their niches perfectly. Together they weigh the same as the heavier knife I used to carry, which wasn't great for any one task, but just ok for most of them.

Last edited:
^This is the idea...apparently it's hard for some folks to wrap their heads around the concept.

I carry a Mora fixed blade and a Havalon that each fill their niches perfectly. Together they weigh the same as the heavier knife I used to carry, which wasn't great for any one task, but just ok for most of them.

I have the exact Same, mora and a havalon . Leaning more to the havalon these days

I use a 5" Victorinox and threw it on the scale last night. It came in at 3.5 oz. Good enough for me, but I might throw in a couple 3" pairing knives the next time I make an Amazon order.

Taking a cue from a couple of posts above, I just went to the Victronox site and they have a Swiss Classic Gourmet Steak knife with a 4.7" blade that weighs 1.6 oz. Oh yeah, it's $9.00 + tax and shipping. That's a pretty good sounding option!
Worst cast scenario you can tell us it sucks and you have a beater kitchen/butcher knife. :)

I use a 5" Victorinox and threw it on the scale last night. It came in at 3.5 oz. Good enough for me, but I might throw in a couple 3" pairing knives the next time I make an Amazon order.
I'd be curious to hear your comparison between the two.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back