Diagnose my rifle

Dougfirtree

I've got an old Rem 7600 in 30-06, that I bought used. I've been playing around with it a bit, trying to come up with a load that it likes. I've tried 3 or 4 kinds of factory ammo and a couple of handloads now. I've yet to find any load that consistently gives groups better than 2". Most are more like 3" One other thing I've noticed about this rifle: Many loads chrono at very low velocities. Factory Rem Core Lokts (180 sp) are going about 2500fps and that's about what I could get from a max load of IMR 4350 and 180 Hornady Interlocks, too.
At what point would you start wondering about the barrel, or some other aspect of the gun's physical state? Would a shot-out bore lower velocities? One other thing I've noticed is that this rifle makes a VERY defined line on the case, a little ahead of the rim. I've seen this line on many cases, where the forward section looks less shiny than the rear section, but I've never seen one so defined. I've not seen any flattened primers, cratering, etc.

In any case, I know a lot of you are much more experienced reloaders and rifle geeks than I am. I'd appreciate any wisdom you can offer. Thanks!

I’d have a tough time believing that a 7600 in ‘06 would have a shot out barrel. It’s hard enough to shoot an ‘06 barrel out, let alone by the average 7600 buyer, if you know what I mean.

If it did see that much use, you’d probably be able to see it on the outside of the gun, as barrel wear would accumulate with other wear as well.

The chamber could definitely be cut a little sloppy though.

I owned a 7600 about eight years ago.
It was in 30-06 also and I never reloaded ammo for it. Mine wouldn't shoot better than 2" groups after checking it over for a problem over and over. Never got it shooting better and sold it.
Hope you have better luck, but it may be the case for you also.
Sorry to have to give you what may be bad news.

Its a 7600 what you expect? There are few accuracte ones but just a few, clean it good complete copper remove and maybe help some. As far as fps how long of barrel is it most 7600 are shorter barrels, the velocity on a box ix usally based on a longer barrells. My buddies have 2 of them one in 280 that best group with any factory ammo is about 6" with handloads we got it to 4" needless to say it seldom hunts cause he has no confidence in it, he purchased it new years ago, just a inaccurate pig. The other is a 06 that shot 2-3" groups and kills deer every year. It is what it is...

Chris

As solid as other cheap options are in 2018 (Ruger American, used Tikka, used Howa) I would chuck it and start over. It's hard to justify burning powder and bullets on something like you've got when a good alternative is $300-$400.

Its a 7600 what you expect? There are few accuracte ones but just a few, clean it good complete copper remove and maybe help some. As far as fps how long of barrel is it most 7600 are shorter barrels, the velocity on a box ix usally based on a longer barrells. My buddies have 2 of them one in 280 that best group with any factory ammo is about 6" with handloads we got it to 4" needless to say it seldom hunts cause he has no confidence in it, he purchased it new years ago, just a inaccurate pig. The other is a 06 that shot 2-3" groups and kills deer every year. It is what it is...

Chris

22" barrel. Maybe you guys are right. The truth is, I don't need the gun to be accurate. I usually use it with a peep sight for hunting in thick brush and bad weather. I just saw enough odd things going on with it that I figured I should look into whether there could be something obviously wrong with the rifle.

22" barrel. Maybe you guys are right. the truth is, i don't need the gun to be accurate. I usually use it with a peep sight for hunting in thick brush and bad weather. I just saw enough odd things going on with it that i figured i should look into whether there could be something obviously wrong with the rifle.

Yikes! This makes me cringe.

Let me put it another way: 2" at 100 yards is accurate enough for what I use this rifle for. It's for situations where most shots will be inside of 50 yards, maybe 100 max.

If that is how you will be using it then there is nothing wrong. We took 3" off of an old 30.06 barrel to make it a hound hunting lion gun and sighted it in for 50 yards. It needed to kill at that range, and not 250 yards so we never checked it at any other distance. It works great.

I second cleaning it with a good copper cleaner. Wipe out works good, or sweets 7.62.
The short barrel doesn't help your velocity issue.
The 7600 platform has never been known for accuracy. Although you do see one once in a while that can shoot. Like others have said, starting over would be easier and cheaper than messing with that one too much.

I agree with giving the barrel a good cleaning. Clean the carbon out then the copper with a good dedicated system. I like the boretech products. Have you tried any 150/165gr bullets or just 180gr?

I agree with the advice already given. There’s nothing wrong with a 2” hunting gun. A lot of people kill deer every year with them.

If you aren't shooting past a couple hundred yards, deer size targets aren't much trouble.
I just can't be happy carrying a rifle that I can't also hit coyotes and ground hogs with at a few hundred yards. But if you hunt thick brushy areas that make 100yrds an extremely long shot,then double barrel with buck shot is good to go along with medioker accurate rifles.

Clean it clean it and clean it take a fowling shot and restart maybe

For the record, I have been religiously cleaning the barrel between range sessions, including getting out the copper with CR 10. I then put 3 fouling shots down the pipe before doing any testing. I'm also careful about temp. I never put more than 3 shots through at a time before letting the barrel cool off.

My recommendation would be to try Sierra GameKing's, either hand loaded with proven loads (published data for powder charge. bullet weight with SAMI reloading specs) or factory ammo. If they don't shoot better than what you have already tried, I'd suggest you be happy with the rifle's accuracy (which really isn't bad for a hunting round).

Hornady's manual lists a max charge of IMR4350 with a 180gr. bullet at 2,600 fps.
So your 2'500 fps is not unrealistic.
If your looking for more velocity either drop to a 165 gr bullet or try a different powder.

And a 2" group at 100 yards with a peep sight is nothing to sneeze at!
I couldn't do it without my glasses. Possibly even then, and i put about 1,200 rounds down range per year.

As expressed by others 2-3" groups are the norm with 7600s. Thats why mine and several relatives 76ers went down the road when we could afford a Browing Bar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back