Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Varying Budgets for Applications

NVDesertHunter

Hello all,

I have been listening to a lot of podcasts lately about applying for tags. I have not heard too much about what the overall cost is to apply in all these different states. I know the costs vary greatly whether you draw the tag or not. Some states have nonrefundable licenses and was interested to see the various budgets people have just for application season. I couldn't find a thread about this and if there is one I would appreciate the link.

The out of state tags I typically apply for are:

WY- elk, deer, antelope
AZ- elk, deer
CO- elk, deer

and occasionally try for ID/NM elk and deer if my schedule is more open in the fall.

Since I have low points in all species and can only afford one or two out-of-state hunts a year, I am currently putting in for tags with a <10% success draw odds. With the high probability of getting my CO and WY refund I budget around $1000 for all the apps. just to be on the safe side.

I know Randy Newberg applies for nearly every species in every state and was wondering what that cost is? There is no need to list all the species you put in for but a general budget and number of species you apply for each year would be helpful.

I mainly want to confirm that I cannot afford to apply for that many species.

take care and happy hunting,
Russell

Don't know for sure, but it adds up quick...and mine are double since my wife applies too.

Probably best I don't do the math.

I am at a out $300 for tags in WA, ID and MT. My apps are probably another $800 or so. Total tags purchased would be around 18, and applied for would be a dozen or so.

I just sent wy $1600 for two elk apps, nm will be about 800, az and Utah are license/fee only unless you draw so those aren't too bad.
Only you know what you can afford. I'm a working stiff and can't afford any of it.

Last edited:
With both boys being 12 and 14 this coming year, I'm planning on well over $10,000. But, I'll end up getting most of it back. As Buzz said, best not to add it up and in my case the wife doesn't need to know. :rolleyes:

I spend about $2600 a year for licenses, app fees, habitat stamps etc...and that is before I draw a tag or 5 (most have drawn in one year). I have tied up over $18,000 at one time since pay in full for a tag just to apply in a few states and I apply for moose, sheep, goat, bison plus elk, dear, pronghorn, ibex, oryx, aoudad. Apply in WA (resident), OR (bunch of points since lived there over a decade), ID (sheep), MT, ID, CO, UT, NM, TX, AZ, NV and KS. I do not apply in CA, AK or Dakotas or Canada. I am on the road this week but think WY and NM and CO and MT and ID tie up tag deposits. If my memory is correct, UT, AZ and NV are cheap dates since can apply for a few $$ but they require a license up front if in the application game for the long haul. TX is a cheap application date, too, and those hunts bundle in access. I would not apply in OR or WA except for having lived there so know the country well.

This year I'm buying bear, deer, elk, pronghorn points in OR and also applying for OR sheep and goats. Buying WY deer, pronghorn & elk points for my daughter and I. Applying in CO for deer and will buy a point for elk. Cost certainly add up, and I guess about $500.

FWIW I apply for ballots here in NZ for fallow, tahr and red deer. These ballots give the winners a 'block' to hunt for a week. Total cost $40.

Last edited:
Kiwi I know you are up to date on most things here but I would advise against applying in Oregon. It was the 1st state I applied in when I started years ago and after diving deep into the different states of the western US, it is close to the bottom of states I would ever recommend to anyone. I know there are monster bulls and bucks killed there but they are the exception not the norm. The best elk units are taking over 20 years to draw. Couple this with the fact that only 2.5% of deer and elk tags and 3% of antelope tags are available to NR and it's a bleak outlook at best. I applied for 4 years and then cut my losses.

I hear you Alabama, and thanks for the warning! I am only applying in OR as I plan to return there to visit my old university (I did an exchange to OSU many years ago) and friends. I could have just got OTC OR tags (and may be I should have) but am thinking with a couple of points I might get a better hunt. I’ll just hunt there once and probably just apply for a deer and bear tag. I was looking at the keno late archery deer, but will decide closer to the time. Thanks again.

Kiwi,

when did your daughter start applying. You are one of my favorite posters, straight and honest. Hope both of you draw your best tag,

Like your approach to hunting.

So how does NM work you send in your application and fee. Then if your not drawn you get all your money back.

Kiwi,

when did your daughter start applying. You are one of my favorite posters, straight and honest. Hope both of you draw your best tag,

Like your approach to hunting.
Well, thanks bobby! My daughter has 3 points for deer, pronghorn & elk in WY and should have 6 or 7 when she hunts. Assuming she is still wanting to hunt in WY I plan to take her after she completes high school.

No problem Kiwi, I didn't know you went to college here. You probably have a better feel for the Oregon draw than I do. I have to agree with Bobby, I really enjoy your posts and pictures. What does a round trip ticket cost to come to the states? How in the world did you get your bull elk antlers back to NZ?

I don't really know much about the OR draw or hunting areas, but just hoping a limited entry tag is better than OTC. I just brought my Wellington, NZ - Denver, CO flights and they cost me about $NZ1500 / $US1100 which is about what I normally pay. I put my elk and pronghorn in a create and shipped them home, cost more than my tickets! But every day I look at them and they remind me of WY, so worth every penny :)

I'll probably be out $200 or so here in NM for hunt/fish lic.,habitat/access stamps, elk & deer tags.

Last edited:
I only do montana. With pref and bonus point fees included with tax my big gamr app will be $1100. But I'm not complaining I live to hunt .

Back