Reloader 16

Addicting

I did some testing yesterday in my creedmoor with RL16, 140 Accubonds, and CCI primers and found one really nice node with very little SD over .6 grains.

However, every time I shot I got a faint blue puff of smoke very similar to using a Muzzleloader. When I cleaned it after 45 rounds of testing it had a heavy coal black soot in the barrel with little to no copper showing up on the patch. I’ve never noticed this before with factory ammo. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Thanks Tony

It’s probaby just a real dirty burning powder. Some burn cleaner than others. I’ve shot a fair amount of reloader 15 and its the same way.

I read a test between the 4350 and RL16 and in the end the shooter stayed with the 4350. However, the RL16 did it all with extra FPS but didn’t group quite as well. It was in stock when I needed it so I bought 3lbs of it to try. What surprised me was that it isn’t listed in many of the reloading manuals or online. The only printed load data was on Speers site.

That decoppering agent makes sense with what I’m seeing. Thanks

RL16 is a pretty new powder, only a year or two on the market. Probably not a ton of published data for it yet.

F279C77A-B615-4757-A91A-6E14146B873B.jpg

Besides my major flinch, I was able to find one charge weight that did well. That’s a 1” square 4 shot group. Got some more testing to do but I can’t imagine asking for more out of a light weight hunting rifle.

Back