Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

If Buying Property Out West, What Do You Look For?

2 things I forgot to mention:
1) No knapweed was a large part of our requirements
2) Southern Elk has been a big help :)

I may have missed it but what is your end desire?

To acquire a property very close or directly connected to large tracts of public land that have good elk and deer hunting. It would be seasonal, so used for a couple of weeks in summer for fishing and scouting, and then again throughout hunting season. Wouldn't need to be a large piece as long as it's close to a lot of accessible public.

It would be great to be able to search for available properties based on their proximity to USFS or BLM. But I haven't found anything out there that can do this. Would make the search a lot easier.

Edit: Beaten to it ... that's what happen when you open the page but don't get to it for 2 hours :D

Water is huge out here. In Colorado, if you own less than 35 acres, even if you have water on your property, you probably won't have the right to use it. That means you'll be hauling water to your property, or having it delivered.

Last edited:
Some other things to think about..................

political climate of an area such as "anti-gubmint" or "environmental wackos" running amok in a certain region.

if this property were ever to become the retirement residence instead of a recreational oasis, is it too remote from supplies/services to be an insurmountable impediment to comfort.

certain areas may be more tolerant of "outsiders" than others.....just how long can you stand to be called the "danged newby".

To acquire a property very close or directly connected to large tracts of public land that have good elk and deer hunting. It would be seasonal, so used for a couple of weeks in summer for fishing and scouting, and then again throughout hunting season. Wouldn't need to be a large piece as long as it's close to a lot of accessible public.

It would be great to be able to search for available properties based on their proximity to USFS or BLM. But I haven't found anything out there that can do this. Would make the search a lot easier.

Sounds like me a few years ago. Finally found my dream prop. 7 miles into the Medicine Bow forest. Half million acre back yard. Medicine Bow river for my back boundary. 30 alpine lakes in the area. I've seen moose, elk, deer and bear. Built a small cabin last summer. Solar power, propane, water from spring and river with rights from the state. The access is seasonal, but so am I. Sorry don't know how to turn the pic. Richard. IMG_0602.jpgIMG_0604.JPG

Nice cabin and I really believe in micro-piles!! You are in a great location in southern WY.

For the OP's question, most states have a state operated website that shows well depths, total depth, gpm, and hydrostatic water levels. Numerous areas in the west are noted for poor wells and tight sand formations (bracca) that do not produce high volumes of groundwater. Septic permits, which are normally issued at the county level can determine where you can build on the property. Most areas in Montana require one spring season (high-runoff period) to determine the percolation rates for your area. Most areas in the west the perc test needs to be completed early spring, if not you will be waiting until the next year. Like other said talk with the Electric Co-op and determine the cost of electric hook-ups, the Co-op engineers mostly want all new utilities buried underground (>3').
So if you have rocky areas, you can easily double or triple the utility cost in excavation alone. Excavation cost can exceed the total building cost if the site requires blasting, hammering, or located in steep sloped areas. You can burn through 6K-10K a day for excavation costs. So in saying this verify with the Electric Co-Op Engineers, check with the County on Septic Permits, and research well depths. Once you find an area, go meet the neighbors, and they can provide a good deal of information about the area. And always bring a 6 pack! Best wishes and you will find the right area that suits your family.

My biggest concern here in the west is where the fracking is going to be. If you're looking for mountain property then it isn't a big worry but if you're even a little bit on the plains one big operation can ruin your place. I'm not commenting on fracking in general here just the proximity issue.

The other big thing I think about is will I be able to pull a tag in the unit my property is in. Plenty of neat places here in CO but it would be a bummer to get a property and then have to drive half a day to a unit that I can get a tag in. OTC units are probably a good way to go here in my state when thinking about buying and hunting from that property.

Wow, lots of good info to think about here, thanks guys. I never would have realized the degree to which water seems to be a priority. Although I'm not sure if it would be as big a hunting consideration for smaller 20 acre lots as I'd most likely be hunting outside of that 20 acres anyway. But would definitely keep in mind to look for water sources in the hunting area nearby.

As far as your processes for narrowing down properties that fit your criteria, what resources did you use to get the information needed? I was thinking of reaching out to local realtors in the areas I was most interested in and letting them know my requirements. And outside of checking the listings on property sites, any other resources for this type of thing you'd recommend?

There has been some really good advice provided already, especially when it comes to access to potable water. It is also important to know the regulations of the state and potentially county you are looking to buy in. An example of this would be if you are looking at an empty lot under 20 acres in Montana; there is a real good chance it does not have septic approval and you would need a sanitary review in order to build on the lot.

Do your homework; don't put your trust in realtors when it comes to getting correct information. The vast majority of realtors I deal with are garbage and only care about the bottom line; making money.

Last edited:
This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for, so thank you guys for giving me a good idea of what I need to be careful of. This process may take years, but I hope to update this thread as I go through it.

First step will be to look at elk/deer units in Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, and New Mexico that will be relatively easy to get tags for year after year, have plenty of public land, and that also provide good opportunity (not looking for a trophy unit specifically, just want to be able to hunt it every year). Like a good general unit in MT, or OTC unit in Colorado for example. Once I narrow those down, I need to check these areas to make sure there is property available that borders, or is very close to the public land. Then get out there and get eyes on the area, maybe hunt it if I can.

Nice cabin and I really believe in micro-piles!! You are in a great location in southern WY.

For the OP's question, most states have a state operated website that shows well depths, total depth, gpm, and hydrostatic water levels. Numerous areas in the west are noted for poor wells and tight sand formations (bracca) that do not produce high volumes of groundwater. Septic permits, which are normally issued at the county level can determine where you can build on the property. Most areas in Montana require one spring season (high-runoff period) to determine the percolation rates for your area. Most areas in the west the perc test needs to be completed early spring, if not you will be waiting until the next year. Like other said talk with the Electric Co-op and determine the cost of electric hook-ups, the Co-op engineers mostly want all new utilities buried underground (>3').
So if you have rocky areas, you can easily double or triple the utility cost in excavation alone. Excavation cost can exceed the total building cost if the site requires blasting, hammering, or located in steep sloped areas. You can burn through 6K-10K a day for excavation costs. So in saying this verify with the Electric Co-Op Engineers, check with the County on Septic Permits, and research well depths. Once you find an area, go meet the neighbors, and they can provide a good deal of information about the area. And always bring a 6 pack! Best wishes and you will find the right area that suits your family.

Some good information in this thread and right here. The difference between a type 1 and a Type 2 septic system can be over $15K. (get close to a creek in Montana and you may be looking at Type 2 or none at all). Electricity at my build site cost me $4300 to take it an additional 300' from the road to my house. Well drilling was $35 a foot. My well was 60 feet deep and 25 GPM but my neighbors is 400 feet and 4 GPM. A dry hole costs the same. Two wells could be a hundred feet apart with one excellent and one dry. Think rivers, creeks and lakes. Excavators are around $90 per hour and my well was 320 feet from the house trenched 6 feet deep the whole distance. In Montana you are responsible for controlling noxious weeds on your land. We are surrounded by Ranches, National Forest, and BLM so access is not a problem and Blue Ribbon fishing close by. I would consider how much land you actually need as it takes work to maintain. Fire breaks, mowing etc. We have 10 acres and it keeps me plenty busy. My closest neighbor is about 1/3 mile away. We live outside a small town.

Neighbors. Is the land next to public or private? I have a piece that is surrounded by private. Most of us agreed to share each others and work together. in costs or work. We pick different hunting times. For instance, I do not bow hunt and one of the landowners does not rifle hunt. Works perfect, for us. He can hunt mine during bow season giving him more opportunity and I hunt his during rifle. One of the larger landowners does not hunt but runs cattle. He runs cattle on mine during spring and summer, and I can hunt his during winter. Again, all about working together. If we are having guests or allowing public hunters we all talk about it and agree on terms. Even though we all have different size parcels, and we find something for each other. One neighbor has 240 acres and a great cabin. I do not have a structure but have 640 acres. I use his cabin when I hunt , and he can hunt my land when he hunts.

Sounds like the absolute perfect scenario. I am a licensed RE agent in Utah, and one of the biggest things that has only been lightly mentioned here is access. Make sure that you have legal and unobstructed access. Sounds obvious, but still seeing folks buy parcels that are either completely landlocked, or else only accessible by unusable roads. As another part of access, what is the winter situation like? County maintained roads? Privately maintained roads? Water is an enormous plus, but will be likely hard to come by.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back