Non-resident Montana Archery Antelope

BigGameNewbie

Looking for a little help on a hunt I'm thinking about for the upcoming season. Would like to introduce my 8-year-old son to a low-intensity, fun hunt with camping and hiking during some decent weather. In doing some research, I saw I should be able to draw a non-resident archery tag for Montana. Would prefer to hunt in August, so he doesn't have to miss any school, but my reading tells me the rut won't be started yet. Would we be stuck sitting water or a travel route, or are there other options? Would appreciate any advice, tips or tricks people would be willing to share.

Depends on where you will be. Water sources that time of year will be key, but you will have to sit for hours for 30 seconds of activity. Spot and stalk will be far more activity, but also a pain as I have yet to complete a successful stalk closer than 80 yards. But, I know guys do it. Finding good terrain that will allow you to approach in areas that antelope will be holding is challenging.

Frankly, archery antelope might be one of the most challenging western hunts. I wouldn't start there. Rifle Antelope is on the other side of the spectrum, far easier.

I definitely agree with 406. Can your 8 year old sit for 14 hours in a blind when it might be 90+ degrees? I know I can't!!!! And except for a rare setup where a guy has scouted out a spot that they travel all the time, sitting a travel route really won't work. They wander all over the place.

It doesn't really matter that the rut won't be going. They're up and visible all day long.

You could easily do this hunt but I'd say your odds of success would be very, very low if your son is tagging along on all the stalks. Which I assume he would be and that's great. I would go into it with the view that it will be a really fun camping trip with your son and you're also going to have fun chasing and scaring antelope with very little chance of getting a shot.

Now if you were able to take him out of school for a few days and go with the rifle, then I'd say your chances of success are very high.

Ultimately I'd say if you want to go on a camping trip, go with your bow and if you want to go on a camping trip and also shoot a buck, go with a rifle.

Thank you for the insight and recommendations. Unfortunately, I'm a non-resident, so our chances of drawing a rifle tag this year look to be no better than about 25% for a public land hunt. Spot and stalk would be our preferred method, and emphasis would definitely be on the camping/hiking aspect of the trip if we go the archery route. I expect trying to get close to the antelope would be almost as much fun for him as his old man actually shooting one. That said, I appreciate the advice and have some follow up questions for anyone willing to share additional advice or experience:

1--In follow up to the archery question: does anyone have any experience using decoys for archery? And do they work earlier in the season at all or is this strictly a "rut only" option

2--If we decided to go the rifle route it looks like there are a number of Wyoming units that offer doe tags in units with decent public access. My preference, however, would be to stay in Montana if possible. I'm looking on the site and I don't see anything about doe tags, so I'm assuming that's not an option.

3--I see there's a reasonable chance for a tag in the "500 units" around the Billings area. Understanding these units are primarily private land, does anyone have any personal experience "knocking on doors." Are we likely to meet with some success driving up and requesting permission? Hunting this area would also have the added benefit of a "fly-in", "fly-out" to reduce the number of missed school days.

Thanks!

1. Decoys: hit or miss depending on the mood of the goats. I use the Montana decoy one and have had limited success with it. Mostly put it up and use it to keep goats attention.
2. WY: There are doe tags out there. Some areas have very high draw rates (much better than MT). If you use GoHunt, you'll find draws there. or Go directly to the WY site.
3. My experience with antelope and knocking on doors is very good. The only time I have been told no is when the rights have been leased out. Otherwise, most tend to not care.

Back