Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Fuming......

SFC B

As I type I am sitting in my office WAITING on my furlough letter. I generally despise politicians of all ilk but this is a new level of burning hatred. The fact that myself (along with my military brothers and sisters and all federal employees) will have our income stopped because some "Americans" have decided to draw a line in the sand over ILLEGAL ALIENS simply blows my mind. I am scared and ashamed at what our country is becoming. The very idea that we would EVER put the interest of those in our country illegally and as the direct result of a CRIME above our own citizens and legal residents is disgusting. I think what scares me the most is that there is a large portion of our population who think it is OK.

SFC B, I think you are absolutely right to be upset as I sit here wondering if I am going to have to recall Soldiers from training and then reschedule them from day zero again in TY19. Some of these schools are very long and hard to get seats for. This is absolutely assinnine, while those that are causing this still draw a check.

Military pay is only a small, although meaningful, part of the shutdown. And the fact that it was only brought up at all once the backlash was being seen is very telling.

Senate is playing with fire.

Speaking of fire, this might be a good opportunity to burn off some slash piles that have been sitting outside our place for a couple years. If there's no one else to burn 'em, I'll volunteer my time to help the USFS again. Plus, they appeared short handed before this shut down happened.

Well, there’s only backlash because of the misinformation. No children are going to die either. It’s Rs this time, but I’m sure Ds did it in 2013.As I understand it, they have quite a few more days until this becomes an issue. When it is it is likely a bill will be passed to allow them to be paid. I’ m not going to argue the Ds aren’t mostly to blame here for painting themselves into this corner.

Speaking of fire, this might be a good opportunity to burn off some slash piles that have been sitting outside our place for a couple years. If there's no one else to burn 'em, I'll volunteer my time to help the USFS again. Plus, they appeared short handed before this shut down happened.

As long as you have a proper burn permit.:D

I'm fine w all the chaos, lies, closures, misery. How else will voters learn to do their research instead of voting for the one w the best hat or sharpest tongue? RE responsibility, one party controls all 3 elected entities. To blame anyone else for the shutdown is Spin City.

I'm fine w all the chaos, lies, closures, misery. How else will voters learn to do their research instead of voting for the one w the best hat or sharpest tongue? RE responsibility, one party controls all 3 elected entities. To blame anyone else for the shutdown is Spin City.

...and we're off...shirts and skins talking points and all. Countdown to locked...

FWIW, USAA said they would cover our payments if it came to it.

...and we're off...shirts and skins talking points and all. Countdown to locked...
Yup, it was inevitable... maybe instead of an inflammatory incredibly lame accusations we can just stick to reasonably verifiable facts and try to calm things down. Like we always do. Ha, Ha.

While I got you on the line, shouldn't it be flammatory?

As I type I am sitting in my office WAITING on my furlough letter. I generally despise politicians of all ilk but this is a new level of burning hatred. The fact that myself (along with my military brothers and sisters and all federal employees) will have our income stopped because some "Americans" have decided to draw a line in the sand over ILLEGAL ALIENS simply blows my mind. I am scared and ashamed at what our country is becoming. The very idea that we would EVER put the interest of those in our country illegally and as the direct result of a CRIME above our own citizens and legal residents is disgusting. I think what scares me the most is that there is a large portion of our population who think it is OK.

My wife was able to digitally sign hers from the house.

Locked? We haven’t even thrown Zinke into the conversation yet. Wonder if he is working today??

He is. He's giving tours to tourists on the capitol mall. I'd much rather him leading tours than the Dept. of Interior, so - silver lining!

The shutdown sucks. It's a failure of congress to actually do their job and pass a budget. Congress wasted budget reconcilliation (51 votes to pass) on tax cuts rather than on passing a budget. Tax reform had a good, bipartisan group working on solving some of the problems, but donor dollars were more important to the majority, so they used their procedural gimmick to get what their donors asked for - more money.

If they would have actually done their work and focused on putting a budget together, we wouldn't be looking at a short term CR. Yet here we are. Dems have been promised votes on stand alone bills, only to never have those votes come up because of McConnell. Rather than blaming one side or another, look at leadership and see how they've not done a damn thing they said they were going to do, especially when it comes to budgets. A gov't controlled by one party should be able to pass a budget, don't you think?

THere is a good coalition of dem & rep senators working on a solution. I'd rather put my hope in that vessel than continue to carp about what either party does. Dreamers are not illegals. They are registered aliens and were given protection because they were kids when they came to the U.S. They're veterans, first responders, largely college educated and they have low criminal rates. They pay taxes, have solid family lives and are productive members of American society. They're exactly the kind of people that make America great.

The Solomon's choice offered by McConnell for CHIP ignores the last 5 months of efforts to reauthorize CHIP, only to be stymied by McConnell's refusal to bring it up for a vote. It has 58 yes votes already. Dream Act has 56, IIRC.

We're at an impasse because the leadership wants a fight, rather than to govern.

I hope it ends soon, and we can get back to bashing the poor decisions that this administration is making. It's much more comical to do that than to look at 545 fools who can't seem to find common ground on anything.

Back