Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Federal Premium Trophy Bonded Tip

Have used the Federal Premium load in .270 Win for several antelope, deer, and an elk. 130 grain never recovered from an antelope. Recovered one last year from a whitetail buck at 408 yards. Perfect expansion and really good weight retention. Few years ago took a frontal shot on a six point bull around 200 yards and he was down within 40 yards. Only recovered the bullet I used to finish him off from his neck. Good round I’ll keep hunting with them.

Yep, I shoot them in several different calibers on everything from antelope to elk and have been very happy with their performance.

In my opinion, they are a tough, high quality bullet and I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Worked great this year on a cow elk from my 270 wsm. Shot was about 150 yards and never recovered the bullet. She went about 30 yards and dropped. This was also the most accurate round in this rifle as well. Very happy with them.

Dang, they must be really cheap, if they're cheaper than Accubonds. Accubonds and Partitions are around $20/50, Partitions being a little less.

I’ve used them in 270 & 308 with very good results. Shoot well and do what they’re supposed to do well

IMG_2041.jpg

The bullet from the deer recovered was 127.8 gr (pictured) and the one from the elk was 104.8 gr.

The Trophy Bonded Tip is one of the better lead bullets on the market (Swift A-frames and Sirocco are the others). Shooting both ballistic gel and water, the bullet will typically have 90-98% weight retention. If the bullet hit a shoulder or bone it might lose more. Below are pictures from a 130 grain Federal TBT at 100 yards into Ballistic gel and x-rays of the gel and one other.

TBT.jpgTrophy Bonded Tip.jpgTrophy Bonded.jpg

A lead bullet with over 90 percent weight retention? Seems hard to believe. Weight retention is overrated anyway. mtmuley

I think it's a great concept, along with their ETLR bullets. The only downside is that I believe their BCs to be inflated on the TBT, especially.

I was I Sportsmans Warehouse yesterday and they had Scirocco II bullets on sale. I bought 100 30cal 165 grains for $49. Couldn't pass that up. And now I have another reason to work up some loads for my .308.

I think 180grn is the heaviest I've seen. Is that right?

Anyway, if I had some 300 WM dies I would have gotten some 180s too. I'd have had some 'splainin' to do, though, once my wife found out. ��

The trophy bonded is a good accurate round. When hitting heavy bone/shoulder, I've seen about 60-70% weight retenetion. That said the elk only made it a few steps before going down. I wouldnt be afraid to use them on elk again

I've killed whitetail, hogs, and aoudad with them. Good bullets. They shoot well under MOA in my new 300 and moa or slightly under in my other 300. They do retain their weight well according to the bullets that I have recovered FWIW.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back