Hello From MN!

Quest1000

Hello Everyone,
I’ve been watching this forum for awhile and wanted to say hi! Technically my second post but don’t worry the first post wasn’t asking for information just saying congrats to Randy for the move from TV to Amazon. I’ve learned from others that it is better to introduce yourself first. haha

I grew up hunting whitetails with my family in northern Minnesota. It is a family tradition and I can remember the excitement of waking up early to go to deer camp as a kid. We would have up to 20 guys pile out of old beater hunting rigs and do “drives” (Walk the woods with guys posted on the corners) then pile back into the rigs and move onto the next section of woods.

Over time I started hunting on my dads land where we primarily sit in stands in the am and pm overlooking hay fields. We will do a small drive from time to time but mostly it’s sitting in the stands. This is a completely different style of hunting compared to the spot and stalk of the west.

I’m excited to be planning my first Elk hunt in Montana for the rifle season. I have two others planning on joining me on the journey but i’m mostly taking the lead on this hunt.

I’ve learned so much from Randy and this forum. I’m using Randy’s E scouting videos to help pick the unit to hunt and find my “spots”, which is interesting because I don’t have any actual experience yet as to what an Elk Sanctuary truly is. I know the bulls will be in the post rut period, so they should be away from roads probably next to some burns and somewhere that “topography or distance” will give them protection from hunters. (Why am I excited about this!)

My number one goals is to actually find some elk during the hunt, after that everything else will be icing on the cake. The wind, specifically the thermals will be an interesting new element as well. We plan on getting on a ridge to glass and then try work our way in. I’m curious to find out my style of grinding an area. I’m sure I will make a lot of rookie mistakes, but i’m preparing for the long game. My goal is to one day bring my little guy out west to experience a public land elk hunt!

Thanks again for all the information,
Jeremy

Dang John, You're ninja quick! It was cool seeing you on the day to day hunt and thanks for everything you've done. I hoe you have a quick recovery from the surgeries!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HUNT7503
Back