goHUNT Yes/No???

I've really enjoyed GoHunt. As a novice western hunter the remarks above are good, it's helping me learn a system (or systems) for the states I potentially want to draw. There is a level of drinking from the fire hose that it has already helped me work through. As far as the price... I spent the 150$, but then got the promo code 50$ for the gear shop, won a 50$ black diamond headlamp in December, and was sent two ball caps that are pretty snazzy. I'd say I've gotten at least 100$ of my initial investment back. Also, customer service is through the roof. Each correspondence via the mail also includes hand written notes of thanks and anytime you ask a question on the site they are Johnny on the spot with the answers. I only wish I had the bank account to fund all the hunts it's help me research! I'd rate them a solid A.

I've really enjoyed GoHunt. As a novice western hunter the remarks above are good, it's helping me learn a system (or systems) for the states I potentially want to draw. There is a level of drinking from the fire hose that it has already helped me work through. As far as the price... I spent the 150$, but then got the promo code 50$ for the gear shop, won a 50$ black diamond headlamp in December, and was sent two ball caps that are pretty snazzy. I'd say I've gotten at least 100$ of my initial investment back. Also, customer service is through the roof. Each correspondence via the mail also includes hand written notes of thanks and anytime you ask a question on the site they are Johnny on the spot with the answers. I only wish I had the bank account to fund all the hunts it's help me research! I'd rate them a solid A.

I want to add to my earlier piece that the customer service is second to none. I get an email from the COO within a day usually of my question/thought. That is unmatched in my experience.

Personally I do not think it's worth it. Between toprut and the state's wildlife agencies I get all the info I need. That being said I put for 6 states, and I know which units I want. If I was doing more unfamiliar states and going after units I did not know I would probably consider it.

I feel like GoHunt is awesome...but it is also not necessary. It is more of a luxury. Prior to my subscription, I was doing hours upon hours of my own research. To me, the $150 is worth it just in the man hours I save alone. Gohunt gives me more time for work, family, hunting, scouting etc. Pouring over data on fish and game websites is doable but also very time consuming. Is the subscription an end all? No. It is a great starting place and jumping off point. Gohunt is also great at not getting complacent. They bust their asses to get ahead of everyone else. It seems like every month they are coming out with a new filter to improve the way you look at your apps. I feel like every level of point holder can benefit from the research tools also. In a state like Arizona or Utah, I feel like gohunt is even more paramount with what your points can get you and the odds of drawing a specific tag. For example, I try to hunt the general tag in Wyo every two-ish years, Montana or Idaho in between. But for Arizona for example, GoHunt gives me data that drastically impacts what units I apply for.

Its also fun to sit on and waste time dreaming about drawing that bison, moose or sheep tag. Overall, I think its an awesome service but certainly not necessary...especially if youre on a tight budget.

Definately a yes. Wish I would have known about it sooner. Great tool and gets you what info you want when you want it.

I am currently looking into a subscription with them mid year or so to start planning for next year. As a guy who is open to going where ever and mainly looking for best odds at the moment while gaining some points in states, Gohunt seems like it would be worth the $150. Like I said, being new I am open to going where ever there are tags, and for me at least it seems overwhelming looking at all the data spread throughout the web. Luckily I have received help from the wonderful people here that have pointed me in a direction for this coming season. But will be looking intoa subscription for the following year to help me out in my decisions.

Since I’m rather new to the idea of western hunts I’ve been looking into either Huntin Fool or GoHunt to help me while I figure out the various state tag systems. My main hangup with GoHunt is that I have a friend that lives in Alaska and expect it to be around 50% of my out-of-state hunting, and GoHunt doesn’t cover Alaska. Is GH still expanding or is Alaska just not part of their focus?

I wish the mapping was better on gohunt. I would like list view formats also by pts required.

Since I’m rather new to the idea of western hunts I’ve been looking into either Huntin Fool or GoHunt to help me while I figure out the various state tag systems. My main hangup with GoHunt is that I have a friend that lives in Alaska and expect it to be around 50% of my out-of-state hunting, and GoHunt doesn’t cover Alaska. Is GH still expanding or is Alaska just not part of their focus?

Dont quote me but I thought I heard that they were expanding to Alaska, California and Kansas. Being that the Alaska deadline already passed a while ago, this would obviously only matter for 2019. California and Kansas would be for this year as they are both later on in the application season. I certainly hope they go the Alaska route.

yea. For an Ohio guy that is oblivious to the ways of the west i'm finding it worth every penny.

Go Hunt is a Tool. I use it. However, you can beat their “predictions” or “draw odds” if you use all the information available to you. The reason I say “draw odds” is because they are actually just the actual odds from the previous year and not an indication of the future which you need to figure out on your own. I believe, if you do your research, you can draw a tag twice as often as the draw sites would lead you to believe based on their “draw odds”. But, you have to dig. To test this, lets look at some Archery Tags and put some predictions down in writing related to Wyoming ’18 draw.

Unit 40-9. Draw Services suggest you can draw a tag with 6 Points in the Regular Draw, 100% odds. I expect significant “point creep” and believe it will take more than 7 points in ’18 to have 100% odds. This, in spite of more tags offered in the draw for non-res applicants. (Most will say that is just point creep, but point creep shouldn’t exceed 1 pt/year, should it)

Unit 40-9. Sites and Draw Services want you to believe you have a 4-6% chance of drawing a random tag in the Special Draw. I believe you will have significantly better odds of drawing than that, and not because of the price increase.

Unit 41-9. Sites and Draw Services want you to believe you have a 33% chance of drawing a random tag in the Special Draw. I expect a far less chance, maybe 15%.

Unit 45-9. Sites and Draw Services suggest 7.5%-8% Random Draw Odds in the Special Draw. I’m guessing closer to 2-3%. (This in spite of more non-res tags being offered in the ’18 draw)

Unit 35-9. Draw Services suggest 7 points gets a 67% chance of drawing in Special, I think you have better than 50% odds with 6 points in ’18. (I expect reverse point creep)

Unit 36-9. Draw Services suggest 3 points gets a 50% chance of drawing in Regular, I think you have 100% odds with 2 points in ’18. (I expect reverse point creep)

Unit 67-9. Draw Services suggest you have a 13% chance of drawing a tag with 0 points in the Special Draw. I believe you will have better that 50% odds.

I can’t predict the exact numbers or percentages, but getting the trend right more often than not can be the difference in drawing more tags over a lifetime and (maybe more importantly) let you know tags and units to stay away from in a state like Wy which offers Random Tags. Honestly, those are what I am after, that tag you draw because you stacked the odds in your favor and didn't have to wait 6-9 years. Use it for what it is and understand they can’t come out and tell you what they may really think or they’d influence too many people, you still have to do your homework and you may end up with only another point, but it will save you time.

Personally, If I was getting twisted up about my odds, I'd get the nr point pool data from the department. Most importantly If I was in the Moose or Sheep draws.
You could trend line all those pools and come up with decent predictive odds. Ron Wold does that here in OR and is real close.

Last edited:
It is a good tool. It takes time to learn every state, if you do then you can find anything on goHunt in about 6 clicks of a mouse.

Ron Wold is great and it’s an awesome deal he does, google “oregontags” however that stuff is statistics and it’s still good to look at the raw numbers off the WDFW website.

I have used Hunters Trailhead and recently subscribed to gohunt.com. Gohunt provides far more information with a few exceptions. To me, it is worth it to have gohunt. Hunters Trailhead includes odds for Utah's CWMU's if you ever have an interest in hunting one. I don't believe gohunt has that. If you just want odds, then something like HT will get you in the ball park for a lot less money. I suspect there are other similar services out there.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back