Yeti GOBOX Collection

goHUNT Yes/No???

BB33

Hello All,

My pens are all out of ink, excel is full, walls can't hold another BLM map, and I lost track of all my Bookmarks while managing six states. What are your thoughts about goHUNT?

Thanks

As one who is just getting started in the western hunting game I find goHUNT super useful to filter different tag approaches quickly. So for me, it is a, "Yes".

Yes! I’ve been planning our groups western hunts for almost 10 years. GoHunt is awesome! Let’s me do the work that would take hours in 15 minutes. And the quality of the information is way better than what I would collect in those hours of research. Really great product!

Hello All,

My pens are all out of ink, excel is full, walls can't hold another BLM map, and I lost track of all my Bookmarks while managing six states. What are your thoughts about goHUNT?

Thanks

Add a public land server to Google Earth and back up your stuff....

GoHunt is fine, prior years odds are good, minimal errors, good stories and how-to articles.

GoHunt is getter better and better. I still get Epic. Dropped Huntin' Fool. Dropped Eastmans. I also do OnXMap chips for my GPS.

GoHunt lets you find hunts you are most likely to draw. They still need to work on granularity of odds in the search function. Bighorn sheep are often 1 in 400 but the odds likes to go in 5% increments. Doh, that is not helping me find the best odds sheep hunt out of 25 in a state with over 50% harvest, etc. For elk the 5% granularity is fine, just not for sheep of mountain goats that are often all under 1%.

Epic let's you find the primo units if you are a max points person or won't head out with a tag unless a chance to harvest a big critter.

OnXMaps helps you with scouting and the actual hunt by showing you what type of land is ahead so avoid private land, etc.

Last edited:
For what it does, it is superior to all other hunting matrices. However, its $150 price tag is high. If there were one that was about 80% what GoHunt is, I would switch immediately. I find the articles hit or miss and infrequent. The interface itself is somewhat clunky. I would rather they drop all the giveway stuff and drop the price. They have added the female odds and do other improvements here or there, so the the program itself isn't static. I like that very much.

Do you honestly think this information will give you an advantage? Even if Bigfin promotes GoHunt, I can't see the difference than going to the individual Fish and Game websites and looking up the information. Colorado, Montana, and Wyoming state operated websites all have this information available through their Hunt Planner, statistics, harvest rates, etc. But go ahead and spend the $150. Be sure and use the Hunttalk Pro-mote Code.

I'm not sure I'd call it an advantage. Looking at numerous forums this time of year, it's apparent that there are a lot of new hunters wanting to apply out West. Most don't understand the basics of applying let alone assimilating a bunch of stats from the various nooks and crannies of a dept's web site. A site that can provide the basics for those guys is a good deal in my opinion. $150 is expensive to us that have lived this our whole lives but pretty cheap if you're new to it. If I was going to hunt Whitetail out in Ohio/Kansas area I'd sure pay for it at least once.

I have been a member of almost all of the services at one time or another. They all have their pluses and minuses. Subscribe to one and get a feel for it as you research the others. Go Hunt "claims" to have the best and most accurate draw odds. I don' think they do and one can find most of the draw odds info for free in other places.

I just started using the gohunt service this year, it's got it pros and cons. The biggest upside is that it's basically a centralized data base so you don't have to go back and forth between all the individual documents from the state agencies. The $150 isn't cheap but it's worth it in my opinion. I know they have the promo code for $50 in their gear shop but beware that they're pretty proud of their merchandise and price it accordingly

If I were able to do several trips per year and was applying for dozens of tags each season, I think a tool like GoHunt would be worth it's weight in gold. Putting all the info in one easily accessible place would save a ton of time and minimize your own misunderstandings on draw process, odds, etc.

However, for a guy like me that does 1 or 2 trips west per year, I can't justify the expense. I've got a list a mile long of easy draw and OTC hunts I want to do, with the limiting factor being time.

I just started using the gohunt service this year, it's got it pros and cons. The biggest upside is that it's basically a centralized data base so you don't have to go back and forth between all the individual documents from the state agencies. The $150 isn't cheap but it's worth it in my opinion. I know they have the promo code for $50 in their gear shop but beware that they're pretty proud of their merchandise and price it accordingly

I agree that the best part of gohunt is having all the info in one centralized price.
As someone who hunts multiple states per year I have found it to be of great value and a good starting point during my research.

As far as them being proud of their stuff and pricing it accordingly; their prices are exactly what you would buy it for anywhere else. I’ve price compared several items and they always have the same price. The biggest thing is they don’t carry cheap products. They are specializing in lightweight/backcountry/high end products and therefore they aren’t cheap. They do not mark anything up from what the msrp is though. So the comment of them being “pretty proud of their merchandise and price it accordingly” is false.

IMO the $150 would be MUCH better spent on any of the following: tripod for glassing, towards high end boots, towards high end pack, towards better glass, or towards a night out with the wife so you can stay on the mountain an extra week. All or any of those will truly help your success with the last being probably the most important.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishing-Moka
Back