Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Once Yet Again to the Dowry Ranch

squirrel

Get ready for the big day tomorrow!! It's bigger than Christmas! In preparation i thought I would just crawl down out of the nest and lift a leg on the corner of the porch here in the side yard. Just to see if any of the dogs are out and about...

Where did twelve years get to so quickly? Why just yesterday (it seems) deer season was cancelled due to pregnant women being due any day.

While the ranch very narrowly missed going into foreclosure due to unforeseen lack of revenue from a mysterious "no trace left" loss of cattle for sale (I blame the black helicopters). They are back on stable financial footing except for feeding too many deer from their bottom line.

001.jpg

The kids were as animated as Christmas morning at the prospects of being old enough to participate for the first time. The parents were more than happy to pawn off the young waifs on the "visiting team". The "Princess" was happy to be relieved of her obligations to get up early and accompany me to freeze her ass off in the stand.

This left the hapless Squirrel to mentor the urchins In everything from sighting in their brand new rifles to hissed "quit MOVING" commands in the stands. It is a good thing those "dowry deer" are "pretty damn dumb deer" is all can say.

First morning it fell to the parents so they could record the event for the family photos then it went to me. I drew the line at two at a time due to space and safety requirements. After only a half hour this guy came right under us and while my protege (poor kid) passed, his cousin did not.

A perfect shot and short dash led to happy kid.

496 - Copy.jpg

Somehow the parents were unreachable on the phone so the cross island/crossriver drag fell on my manly shoulders. I did however save the field dressing tutelage for Dad.

The second morning my protege ditched his Dad in favor of me and my "proven track record" leaving Dad to take his twin sister with him. About 8 the deer started moving and he kept passing, then one got bigger and he changed his mind and wanted to shoot him. I stopped him in the shooting lane but first deeritis nixed any shot, then a bigger buck came out of the depths of the island to kick the other's ass.

When the scope hit this deer the breathing got a bit ragged and the stand was swaying, three stops later the gun went bang, the deer was hard hit but i told him to close the deal which he did.

I made him wait until I couldn't keep from laughing anymore, he was ready to fly over and hold that buck! And yes, once again the drag fell to me.

511 - Copy.jpg

To make it even sweeter his evil twin sister MISSED a buck a few minutes later (they are very competitive)

That night she would not take no for an answer for going with me. I took her to get "the big one" I had taken pics of. She made a fantastic choice of not shooting at 200 yards as she was untried at that range. It was tough as she desperately wanted to show up her brother, but she did the right thing, even though it led to tag soup for her.

IMG_0226 - Copy.jpg

IMG_0238 - Copy.jpg

IMG_0242.jpg

IMG_0259 - Copy.jpg

I think in the next sixty years or so she may get another chance given where she can hunt...

180.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0224 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_0224 - Copy.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 396
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tracker boat
Back