10x vs. 12x binos

wyoboypt

If a guy primarily hunts open country which power is better? I’ve had 10x42s forever but am wondering if 12s would be a good option.

I recommend 8.5x42 binos on your chest harness and 15 power binos on a tripod. 12s would shake way too much in the hand and need to be mounted to a tripod in my opinion.

I've got 10x42s and really like those. I like having a little bit wider field of view so I'm happy with the 10s. If I want more power, I have my spotter.

I only want to carry one pair. If I have a tripod I will take my scope. I’m going to try out trekking poles and use them with my binos to glass.
Where I live, anything less than 10x isn’t really practical. Very little timber hunting.

Most people say that binos with magnification stronger than 10x are too difficult to hold steady. You also lose field of view.

I use Leica 8x42 and a Leica 40x spotter.
Anything above 10x you need a tripod as has been stated above.
I find 10x shaky off hand.

If your choice is 10x or 12x off a tripod and it's open country. I'd go 12x

For days with binos only I’d glass off a trekking pole. Still too shakey?
Personally, I've never been able to stabilize my 10x binos leaning on trees, poles, etc anywhere close to what a tripod would do. It helps, but if I'm holding them my heartbeat and breathing give some shake. When I have a problem determining if something far away is an elk or a stump it is usually because of shake, not magnification.

Personally, I've never been able to stabilize my 10x binos leaning on trees, poles, etc anywhere close to what a tripod would do. It helps, but if I'm holding them my heartbeat and breathing give some shake. When I have a problem determining if something far away is an elk or a stump it is usually because of shake, not magnification.

This is spot on. If you glass with your binos off a tripod, you won't go back. The difference between 10x and 12x binos is probably not night and day (can't say for sure as I don't own a pair of 12x). However the difference between glassing with and without a tripod is night and day. So, to answer your question, stay with 10x definitely if you're not going to carry a tripod. I say this because 12x binos will be worse without a tripod than 10x binos without a tripod, and since you'll have your spotter with you if you do take a tripod, extra magnification in the binos wouldn't be of much use when you have a spotter. On the other hand, more field of view in the 10x binos would be of use if you have a spotter.

There are some pretty damn light tripods out there that would make 12s really practical and effective.

I also agree with this, if you're worrying about weight and don't want to haul the spotter. The only way the 12x's make sense to me is if you are just taking binos and a tripod (no spotter).

Last edited:
Not sure what the OP’s budget is but I’ve never seen hills come alive like I have with my 12’s on a tripod. Alpha 12’s make the FOV loss minimal.

Not sure what the OP’s budget is but I’ve never seen hills come alive like I have with my 12’s on a tripod. Alpha 12’s make the FOV loss minimal.

looking at meoptas hd. i was torn both ways when i posted and im torn both ways now.

I use 12 power with no problems. I like to use a fence post or tree or my shooting sticks or even elbows & knees to keep steady.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back