Yeti GOBOX Collection

Is a Leupold VX-1 worth the money?

Upland

First off I apologize if this has been asked a hundred times.

I am looking for a decent optic for my 30-06. I will be hunting in Northeast Washington for deer, so chance of running into low light, fog, rain and/or snow is very likely. I am on a bit of a budget so the VX-1 has caught my eye. I have heard mixed reviews on the glass in this scope. This seems to be a great place for Leupold reviews so what do you all think? Buy a VX-1 or save up for a VX-2 or VX-3?

Or should I be looking at something else?

The VX-1 is good glass for its price point. But if you are not in a hurry, save for a couple more months and then give Predator Optics a call. I bet Schmalts could get you a great deal on a VX-3i that would be worth the wait.

If you can be patient, I think something is about to happen with the VX2s. I've seen a few different models on sale recently so they may be updating the line and you may be able to get a great price on the current one. I just got a flyer from a semi-local shop that has the VX2 3-9X40 on sale for $199.

VX I isn't bad, but for me I would go with VXII. Seems that Leupold is coming out with some new scopes, and I believe that VXI and II are no longer listed on their website. Either A. you may be able to find a good close out deal on a VXII or B. you may want to wait for the new scopes to hit the market.

I have three VXI scopes. One on a 308, one on a 30-30, and one on an AR. All different styles and reticles. They say to buy the best glass you can afford. But when you get the quality of a VXI for the price, why spend more?

I own much better glass. But I don’t any with better value. You can’t go wrong if you want quality on a budget. FYI I bought mine on clearance for under $170. I wouldn’t spend Over $200 on one when you can get VX3 glass for a little more.

VXR is another good option. And apparently they are coming out with a new budget scope lineup. I bet you’ll be able to get some good deals on Is and IIs.

Any Leupold scope is worth it. Best customer service around. I have a few VX-1, couple Vx-2 and just got a VX3i. My go to gun for years is my 300Wm with a VX-1 3-9x50 and its 15 years old been on over a dozen airplane rides, been dropped in the dirt and snow and NEVER lost zero. I quit verifying zero after airplane rides, because I got tired of wasting ammo.

So short answer: yes

I have a vx-1 3-9x40 on a marlin 1895 45-70 lever-action and love it. It holds zero, makes correct adjustments/tracks well, and is more than clear enough (I can see the dirt on individual hairs of deer). My personal thought is that if you only plan on shooting this 30-06 at normal shooting ranges where elevation adjustments are not needed and 3-9 power zoom will do, get the vx-1 3-9x40 and be done. The only reason to wait and spend more on higher end models is if you are planning to shoot long range. In which case, reloading would be just as important if not more important than purchasing a higher end scope as far as accuracy is concerned. The only thing that's really "lacking" on the vx-1 is external turrets (for quick in-field elevation adjustments) and high-powered zoom options (needed for long range). As far as value goes though, the higher end Leupold models can't even come close to touching the value of the vx-1 in my opinion. You can't go wrong. If you buy it and don't like it, just sell it. Leupold scopes hold their value very well. Another option might be to buy the vx-1 for now until you save up, and then when you have the money to buy a higher end model, sell the vx-1 and upgrade. Also, don't forget about getting good rings. Your system is only as good as its weakest link. I recommend the DNZ Game Reaper rings and of course Talley rings. Happy hunting!

Last edited:
There are some great deals on VX2s right now. I just picked up two 4-12cds for 240 each.

I have probably a dozen 3-9x40 VX1s and haven't really needed any more. I bought most of mine used or waited for deals. I paid about 125-175 for each. The little 2-7x33 is a nice little scope for. Probably my favorite of the VX1 lineup.

Everyone has their own opinion on scopes and what's needed. I tend to spend my money on gas, air time and gear rather than a piece of glass I will use all of 30 seconds a hunt. To each his own.

I've got a 'Bells & Whistles' 3.5X10 CDS on my 7/08, and a 2X7 bargain priced Leupold on my 338 Fed. Does either make me a better rifleman, or a better hunter? No. Has either ever failed me, under any circumstance? No.

For that matter I also have a 3X9 $39 Tasco, on a 308, that has done the same.

If Leupold is actually going through a product line change, then by all means wait a few, and hit the Net hard for close-out sales ! No matter, you won't go wrong with any Leupold you go with.

I seen some super deals lately on VX1s ... if you can find them. The new VX-Freedom series is replacing the VX1 and VX2 series.

Be Safe,

The one thing I don't like about Leopold scopes is the field of view always seems so small, no idea why?

I own an old scope no idea what model, a VX ĪĪĪ and a VXR. I prefer the VXR but it's been probably 2 years since I've used the red dot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back