Caribou Gear

Hello from Eastern NM

TwistedSage

Hello all new to the forum and a new resident of New Mexico. Born and raised in NJ and took up hunting while stationed in TX and it has been my passion/obsession ever since. Started bow hunting my last year in TX and that's all I used for whitetail when I moved back to NJ. After a few years in back in my home state my wife and I had enough with just about everything NJ and decided to move back to her hometown in eastern NM, both couldn't be happier. This will be my first year entering any draw and I hope I get the opportunity to hint big game in this state. I also fish any chance I get(which are far and few in between now) and enjoy all kinds of wingshooting. Thanks all for the knowledge you share and I hope to be able to add some myself.

Thanks all!
Hey TLowell02, I'm in the portales area currently renting but in the process of buying a tad west of here... I beleive you helped my out over on rokslide while I was still in NJ anticipating the move. I'm whiteoak over on RS, couldn't get the same handle here... pointed me in the right direction of getting OnX, the best 30 dollars I've spent. Made it out here in October and have put it to good use for some small game and birds. Also good just to have it on during long drives when I start seeing animals or terrain I like set a waypoint then later check what unit and what public is nearby.

Thanks all!
Hey TLowell02, I'm in the portales area currently renting but in the process of buying a tad west of here... I beleive you helped my out over on rokslide while I was still in NJ anticipating the move. I'm whiteoak over on RS, couldn't get the same handle here... pointed me in the right direction of getting OnX, the best 30 dollars I've spent. Made it out here in October and have put it to good use for some small game and birds. Also good just to have it on during long drives when I start seeing animals or terrain I like set a waypoint then later check what unit and what public is nearby.

Makes sense now! I thought the New Jersey connection sounded familiar.

You were there just after the shooting. My cousin’s roommate was one of those that got shot and died. Messed up deal. Can’t imagine that was too fun finding out it was going to be your duty station.

Definatly a messed up deal. I actually picked ft hood as my duty station... ran past the SRP building it happened in 3 times a week. Got there shortly after the Hasan shooting and left very shortly before the 2014 shooting that started right across the street from my company and motorpool. You just never know, anything can happen anywhere anytime.
Some say freedom is free...

Welcome!

Interesting you moved to Portales and are happy there. Is it the wide open landscape that you appreciate? I have a good friend who moved out here from PA and that's what she enjoyed about the area.

Good luck with the application this year. Should have some decent odds for deer if you're now a resident, especially for certain weapon types. Elk odds are mostly low, although the resident only cow tags are better. The NM Game and Fish has their 2017 draw data posted online so you can see how popular various areas are.

If you have any questions, send me a private message.

-Guy

Thanks guys,

Bobbydean that is what I hear although I haven't seen any yet. But I have done all of my hunting west and southwest of portales. I wonder what it is that holds then up around clovis, gotta make it out there. I did get a few quail around here the other day though and dang they are delicious.

Guy,
Yes the wide opens panoramic as far as you can see views are pretty amazing as well as the sunsets. I was talking to the woman cutting my hair who is from here about Colorado and she said she likes it but said after a couple days she feels claustrophobic with all the mountains blocking her view lol. Also the people are nice the taxes are low and I can drive for over an hr without hitting a light or competing for the road. On the way to the prairie chicken reserve the other day I saw 2 mule deer bucks 1 doe, 2 herds of antelope, and a couple coyotes circling some cows n calves that we chased off. Just a different world for me and I am loving it. I appreciate the offer of help, hope us all luck in the draw.

From what I remember growing up, we found the pheasant around Clovis although I have to admit we never tried our hand around Portales. I'd imagine if you ask around you could find some farmers willing to let you hunt their fields for pheasant.

I work with a guy who hunts deer out your way, seems to have decent luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back