Barnes copper bullets?

I plan on using the 225gr TTSX in my 338 WM. this spring on grizz hunt in Alaska. They penetrated 4+ feet of water at 100 yds and retained nearly 100% of their weight, Accuracy is very good as well, sub MOA.
IMG_1197.jpgIMG_1198.jpg

I plan on using the 225gr TTSX in my 338 WM. this spring on grizz hunt in Alaska. They penetrated 4+ feet of water at 100 yds and retained nearly 100% of their weight, Accuracy is very good as well, sub MOA.

textbook results, especially at higher velocities

Does anyone have experience with the 120 grain TTSX that Barnes loads in their factory VOR-TX rounds for 7mm-08? I'm looking at getting either a 7mm-08 or a .308 next year for elk (my primary rifle is a 25-06), and I'm already considering what type of ammo I would use in the 7mm-08 that I'm leaning towards. I've heard good things about the Barnes TTSX, but even though I know copper bullets shouldn't be compared to lead on a grain-for-grain basis, shooting a 120 grain copper bullet feels like it would blur the lines with my 25-06 and somewhat defeat the purpose of bringing a larger round. My instinct is to lean towards a heavier choice like the 140 grain Noslers but I realize I'm probably nitpicking bullet weights.

My grandson has been shooting 7mm-08 140 grain Barnes Federal Premium triple shock for the past three years. He has taken three mule deer bucks and a cow elk with one-shot success. As the guy responsible for keeping it sighted in, I'm not the most proficient marksman on the range, but his rifle with that ammo seems to shoot really well even for me.

I used Barnes 115 grn in my 257 Weatherby for my biggest elk. I wish I had better pictures to show the results of bullet expansion but..I shot about 250-300yards quartering away and had a complete pass through. I shot for the opposite leg and took the top of the bone off and had a baseball size exit. Very impressive and I shoot the 180 in my 300 WSM. I now shoot 110 accubond in the 257 but can’t give you a good reason for the switch. I felt under gunned for elk but the results would say otherwise. I guess we can always use another rifle.

The only critter I ever shot with Barnes bullets was a young, small doe whitetail. I hit her with a 165 grain TSX from a .30-06. Velocity was probably somewhere in the 2600-2700 fps range on impact. It made a nice little entrance hole, a quarter size exit hole and is still the only bang-flop I've ever had on a big game animal. I don't think you'd have any trouble at all with antelope, especially at .25-06 velocities.
I'm actually in the process of trying to work up a load for my 7mm-08 using Barnes bullets. Unfortunately, my rifle hated every combination I tried with the 145 LRX's. I'm on to the 140 TTSX now, wish me luck!

View attachment 79235View attachment 79236

Those are impressive! I think a problem I would have, if I did try them, is the same weight monolithic bullet will be somewhat longer than the cup and core. Mean's for loading the bullet may have to be set deeper than I like. I like a bullet to retain weight and expand, like I said those in the photo are beautiful. An advantage to the bullet's not shedding weight in penetration. But any bullet should shoot through a game animal. If it doesn't, it does lack penetration. I have also been a chest shooter most of my life. I'm really not interested in seeing how much meat and bone I can send a bullet through. The deal is, if your willing to take just any shot, you probably need something like a monolithic to get the bullet in. Choose to shoot into the chest cavity and complete penetration come's much easier.

I think a problem I would have, if I did try them, is the same weight monolithic bullet will be somewhat longer than the cup and core.

I am no expert, but from what I read, it is recommended that you go down in weight to increase velocity (and as an added benefit account for some of the length concern), but given it retains 98% of its weight it is just as (or more) effective that the lead bullet. For example - 120gn TTSX in place of 140gn Accubond. By following this approach length shouldn't be a big problem.

Barnes bullets are a great choice in the all copper lineup. They hold together well and kill the heck out of stuff. They don't cause tons of damage because they don't break apart, which is nice.

I have shot plenty of lead and nonlead bullets into ballistic gel to test expansion and wound channel. The tipped nonlead bullets open a fraction of an inch faster but both bullet styles begin to expand within the first 1.5 inches. It should be noted that lead bullets also take about 1.5 inches to fully expand. Berger lead core bullets tend to take 3-5 inches before expansion.

Sierra GameKing 130 grain 270 Win at 100 yards
GameKing.jpg

Barnes TSX 130 grain 270 Win at 100 yards
TSX.jpg

Last edited:
I shoot the 85 grain tsx out of my 243, shot my antelope and deer with it this year. Performance was exceptional with 3/4" moa. I shoot the 165 ttsx out of my 300 Win Mag and it shoots about 1/2" moa With minimal load development. I can't remember where I read this, but I saw somewhere it was recommended to get muzzle velocity over 3000 fps if possible to aid in the bullet expansion. When selecting bullet weight for barnes I try to compare bullet lengths to proven bullets I already have shot to try to determine what bullet length the twist rate of my gun prefers. Good luck, I'm pretty sold on Barnes, I load both my hunting rifles and my dad's mauser 06 with Barnes and they are all well under moa.

I have been using Barnes for a while. When switching from lead to copper you can (due to penetration/weight retention) and often must (due to barrel twist) go down in weight.

Copper bullets are longer for the same weight as lead. Faster twist rates are needed for longer bullets. Guns are traditionally designed for lead bullets and so have slower twist rates for the short lead bullets.
So, for many guns, they wont be as accurate with copper unless you go down in weight. Also, Barnes put out a memo that recessing the bullet a little deeper in the case increases accuracy.

I group ~ .4MOA with my Savage .243, and .9MOA with my Ruger .308 using factory Barnes, so I have been pleased with the accuracy.

As for lethality, I am not experienced enough to really say, since I have never used lead for comparison for big game, but I have been happy with the effectiveness of copper. The kills have been fast and humane.
I know that this is highly subjective and even controversial, but due to the excellent penetration with copper (bullets usually pass through), I feel like I can downsize my rifle for a given application compared to lead. Basically reducing mass trauma but improving shot placement = less meat loss. I would be comfortable using my little .243 for anything smaller than an elk. I would even use it on Elk if that is all I had. I am than comfortable from my experience with copper which has been mostly based on pigs.

I have also done well with Hornady GMX and Federal trophy copper.
I have not tried Nosler E-tip or Lehigh Controlled Chaos.
I am in the process of trying Maker Bullets T-rex (hand loading)

I've been using 130 grain TSX BT for both elk and deer with my 270. I keep all shots within 300 yards, and ideally much closer. They seem to do a great job so far.

Here's a question that probably can't be answered: Where in the heck do I find more? I went hunting with 7 bullets this year, now I'm down to 6 after shooting an elk. With careful math, reworked several times to ensure no errors, that means I can hunt 6 more times, using one bullet each time :)

I've been using ammoseek.com to keep an eye out but so far have only found barnes loads made by other ammo manufacturers, are these the best option at this point?

Thanks
Matt

I've been using 130 grain TSX BT for both elk and deer with my 270. I keep all shots within 300 yards, and ideally much closer. They seem to do a great job so far.

Here's a question that probably can't be answered: Where in the heck do I find more? I went hunting with 7 bullets this year, now I'm down to 6 after shooting an elk. With careful math, reworked several times to ensure no errors, that means I can hunt 6 more times, using one bullet each time :)

I've been using ammoseek.com to keep an eye out but so far have only found barnes loads made by other ammo manufacturers, are these the best option at this point?

Thanks
Matt
I shoot a handful of rounds between every hunt just to make sure nothing happened, so I’d say that you need more ammo fast! And on a side note, for a very long time I wondered why I was wasting time and ammo checking between every hunt. Then two years ago, between hunts, my rifle was almost TWO FEET OFF. No idea what happened. Glad I checked.

I’m not 100% certain, and some quick use of your favorite search engine(DuckDuckGo ain’t the worst) will help you, but my guess is that your best bet is definitely to buy other brands of ammo using Barnes(or any other bullet you like). Barnes Bullets was purchased by Sierra Bullets during the liquidation of Remington. I do not know if/when Barnes loaded ammo will be available in the future, but if a quick internet search doesn’t turn up promising info, Id recommend that you do not hold your breath on getting Barnes brand loaded ammo.

I shoot a handful of rounds between every hunt just to make sure nothing happened, so I’d say that you need more ammo fast! And on a side note, for a very long time I wondered why I was wasting time and ammo checking between every hunt. Then two years ago, between hunts, my rifle was almost TWO FEET OFF. No idea what happened. Glad I checked.

I’m not 100% certain, and some quick use of your favorite search engine(DuckDuckGo ain’t the worst) will help you, but my guess is that your best bet is definitely to buy other brands of ammo using Barnes(or any other bullet you like). Barnes Bullets was purchased by Sierra Bullets during the liquidation of Remington. I do not know if/when Barnes loaded ammo will be available in the future, but if a quick internet search doesn’t turn up promising info, Id recommend that you do not hold your breath on getting Barnes brand loaded ammo.

Thanks for the info. I used 2 bullets pre-season to verify accuracy and you’re right, that will eat up my remaining ammo in no time. Glad I have a year to solve this problem. Any alternative copper ammo recommended here?

Thanks for the info. I used 2 bullets pre-season to verify accuracy and you’re right, that will eat up my remaining ammo in no time. Glad I have a year to solve this problem. Any alternative copper ammo recommended here?
Just buy another brand loaded with Barnes. Barnes should be producing ammo again soon, but when it’s available near you is another story.

Thanks
Matt

Check Midway USA and MidSouth Shooter Supply. They are harder to find now where everything seems to be like slim pickin's.

Check Midway USA and MidSouth Shooter Supply. They are harder to find now where everything seems to be like slim pickin's.
Thank you, I will keep an eye on them.

I called Barnes directly a month ago and his advice was to watch ammoseek.com very closely. Appreciate everyone’s help.

Back