I really messed up!!!....or did I????

Elmacho

My name is Mark.

I don't write a whole lot on the site, but enjoy reading from time to time.

I am hoping to get some advice about Wyoming Elk. I somehow screwed-up in 2010 and missed the preference point, therefore am chasing max by one point for deer and elk.

I am looking to archery hunt and want a chance at a serious bull, 350 (ya ya) or better preferably(Yes, I have enough experience to judge them). I am in shape and can cover ground well, I also have a lot of time to scout and do it right. Will follow-up with a rifle if necessary, but not planning on it. I do not have to go this year, just trying to narrow a few units down to go scout this summer.

I am looking at 16, 24, 45 and 7 (not to crazy about fighting over space).....are there others I should consider?

Do you have any comments on these units with respect to quality. top ranches. fees they are getting? Am I better off looking to the Park County for a big ole bull?

My Preferences in order;

1) Go totally DIY in an area with minimal property issues
2) Go DIY in the right unit and pay a trespass fee
3) Hire a guide to pack into Grizz Country.

Thank you for listening, I hope I am not hitting a sore spot asking all this from 800 miles away :)

Any questions I can answer about Arizona, Colorado or Nevada, let me know......

PMs welcome!

Good luck in 2018!

I don't think you can expect "a good chance" at a 350" bull in any of those units except "maybe" on a good private ranch. Sure, they all have bulls that size, but expecting to have a good chance at one is not very realistc. WY ain't AZ or UT. It's a great state for OK to good bulls, but not a great state for great bulls. You're probably on the right track about Park, your # 3 choice and may look to one of the later hunts if you're dead set on 350". With that said there is some GREAT archery hunting to be had on bulls a bit smaller than that.

For what it is worth I live on the edge of 16 and spend several days scouting around. Have seen a few 350 around on both private and public. If you are interested or have question, pm me. Richard

I have hunted 16 and 45, I did see bulls approaching 350 in bull in both units but I think that was the exception rather than the norm. I saw a fair number of 300-320 bulls in 16 and ended up taking a 345 bull during archery season. In 45 I saw one bull that I would have guessed was right around 350 but most of the bulls were in the 300-310 range. I think unit 7 has the most trophy potential out of the units you mentioned, but I have never hunted it. I know it has a lot of tags though. I think the best bet for trophy bulls is still in the NW corner of the state.

I know there are a lot of good bulls in Unit 7, never hunted it personally but have had a lot of friends take good bulls out of there but they also had horses and knew people for access to get to public land. I know access can be an issue, it can be pretty rough rocky terrain. A good buddy of mine hunted something like 27 days on horse back and hiking to get a bull you are wanting. I'd suggest if you are wanting a bull of that caliber, start looking at some of the desert units

I have hunted 16 and 45, I did see bulls approaching 350 in bull in both units but I think that was the exception rather than the norm. I saw a fair number of 300-320 bulls in 16 and ended up taking a 345 bull during archery season. In 45 I saw one bull that I would have guessed was right around 350 but most of the bulls were in the 300-310 range. I think unit 7 has the most trophy potential out of the units you mentioned, but I have never hunted it. I know it has a lot of tags though. I think the best bet for trophy bulls is still in the NW corner of the state.

Congratulations on your bull, and a very accurate analysis of 16. Richard Bell

I'm wondering how many bull elk you have already taken? Are you willing to eat tag soup and be happy with just having a great hunt? I think you're setting yourself up for a big disappointment by setting a goal of 350 regardless of where you hunt other than a private ranch. Of course bulls like that are out there but they are few and far between.

Last edited:
You have the experience to judge them, that’s good. But have you taken a bunch of branch bulls? If so and they’ve never been over 300 or if you haven’t taken a bunch I think you mean 320 and not 350. And I think that’s doable in all the units mentioned, my personal theory on the ever popular “tres fidy” is thusly... I’ll bet you a dollar that there’s a 350 plus in dang near every unit in WY...they just ain’t gonna get killed by someone driving over from CA or WA (in my case).
So...I’m bucking the norm and gunning (archery) for a bull that’s 330 and shooting the first 320 that I see because a THREE HUNDRED AND TWENTY INCH bull is a friggin monster bull!!

I know, many have never shot, let alone stalked a 350, but I have been lucky and have. Trying to attach a pic of one of them here....hope it works.

In all reality I will probably kill a 330 if he gives me the shot, I am just looking for a unit where there is a possibility to top my last bull. As I stated, once I know what unit I commit to, I have the time to spend probably a month or more getting to know the unit and the animals in it.

If the pic doesnt work, someone tell me what to do, a bit slow here

Attachments

• AZ Bull.jpg
    AZ Bull.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 308
I think the bull you’re looking for is in all of the units you’ve listed.

For what it's worth, I hunted 24 once. I saw a bunch of bulls, including several with harems, but nothing big.

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe he will come back and let us know how his hunt was and where he hunted.

What a shock, a new guy asking for advice then never comes back? I hope he's not one of those guys and let's us know how it went.

I can vouch for unit 54 having bulls at and above 350".
If I had max points for elk there would be no questions as to what unit I would apply.
Super beautiful country, lots of public land, long season.
Yes, there are grizzlies. But I wouldn't let that keep me from hunting there.
Good luck in your decision and your hunt.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back