Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

WY 2018 Units 77/79

406LIFE

Looking for those of you who have hunted this unit and want to share some info to please PM me. I have a few specific questions. TIA.

I haven't hunted them, but have been through them a number of times over the last 20 years. The population is very low with unit 77 issuing a total of 100 buck tags with no restrictions and 25 that can only be used on private land or within 1/2 mile of same. Unit 79 has only 25 tags and has that 1/2 mile restriction. The country just isn't really very good for antelope and that's a hard thing to say when you're talking Wyoming.

Tag quota is not a reliable measure for determining antelope population or unit quality. For examples, see units 57 and 58.

Last edited:
Tag quota is not a reliable measure for determining antelope population or unit quality. For examples, see units 57 and 58.

It would seem like tag total would be the first thing most people look at to get an idea of herd size. All I can say is that most of unit 77 looks more like moonscape than good antelope country and 79 just doesn't have many antelope even though it looks like it should have decent numbers.

Haven't hunted there but hunted nearby last year and echo what Topgun said. A lot of those units are "badlands" type country and don't really seem to have much for wildlife value.

It seems like 95% of all the animals are on 5% of the land, and near all of that land being private agricultural land. You could have luck hunting on private or on boundary lines between private and BLM.

Also, there are several walk-in only areas and are hit or miss from what I saw. We checked out a lot of them and the majority were oddly totally devoid of wildlife, but one or two held some critters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back