Yeti GOBOX Collection

Randy's new rifle

You know Randy, you could just clue us in......

I can't clue anyone in until we (Howa and me) decide what it will be. I was as SHOT and had a great meeting with Howa. Matt and I got to share some time burning powder with the new rifles they have in the line up.

We also spent some time meeting about the year ahead, rifles we have in mind, what is most applicable to our style of hunting and use by our audience, cartridges that I prefer and how well they sell in the line ups of rifles (and ammo), and a lot of other ideas that we use to make the decision. I suspect it will have an HS Precision stock. It will probably be in a .308 Win, a .300 Win Mag, and some of the other cartridges that I prefer for deer/antelope.

I got my hearing tested while I was at SHOT. To say it was abysmal in all ranges affected by loud noises such as gun shots, would be an understatement. I am considering the extra weight of a suppressor in states where it is legal. I can find those in 10-11 ounce varieties. If I decide to use that on non-mountain hunts where weight is less of an issue, that will also be part of the factor in what rifle I will shoot.

I am wrapping up an 18-day trip that included Sheep Show, SHOT Show, and a week of AZ Coues deer hunting. When I get back, Matt and I will have time to explore this in more detail. We need to have it in place before spring bear hunts.

Glad to hear so many people are interested in what I will be shooting. I can assure you that the decision will take a lot of consideration and not be made casually.

Gotta run. Brian needs my help answering Hank's questions as to how he should cook this coatimundi Brian shot this morning.

8 lbs for a 26" barreled rifle isn't bad but I know it's not your style. The Howa kuiu rifle looks like a good one but Sitka might not approve... Its gonna be hard to replace the alpine for weight alone, that's for sure.

good morning everyone,

Sorry i havent responded sooner, been traveling a bit and attending trade shows.
I keep an eye on hunt talk and take notes, your input is greatly appreciated.
the Alpine Mt rifle has been discontinued, it was at the end of its product life cycle.
for this year we have 2 options in an HS Precision stock configuration.

album-72157663618716198

album-72157663618716198

https://flic.kr/p/Em4GT1
https://flic.kr/p/Hxccrv

Last edited:
good morning everyone,

Sorry i havent responded sooner, been traveling a bit and attending trade shows.
the Alpine Mt rifle has been discontinued, it was at the end of its product life cycle.

album-72157663618716198

album-72157663618716198

FWIW - I have a 25-06 Howa 1500 action/barrel (from a weatherby vanguard 2) that I put in a HS Precision stock myself and am VERY happy with the result (although it is a little heavy). Looks like the factory combination should be a good off the shelf option for folks if weight is not the primary concern.

I can't clue anyone in until we (Howa and me) decide what it will be. I was as SHOT and had a great meeting with Howa. Matt and I got to share some time burning powder with the new rifles they have in the line up.

We also spent some time meeting about the year ahead, rifles we have in mind, what is most applicable to our style of hunting and use by our audience, cartridges that I prefer and how well they sell in the line ups of rifles (and ammo), and a lot of other ideas that we use to make the decision. I suspect it will have an HS Precision stock. It will probably be in a .308 Win, a .300 Win Mag, and some of the other cartridges that I prefer for deer/antelope.

I got my hearing tested while I was at SHOT. To say it was abysmal in all ranges affected by loud noises such as gun shots, would be an understatement. I am considering the extra weight of a suppressor in states where it is legal. I can find those in 10-11 ounce varieties. If I decide to use that on non-mountain hunts where weight is less of an issue, that will also be part of the factor in what rifle I will shoot.

I am wrapping up an 18-day trip that included Sheep Show, SHOT Show, and a week of AZ Coues deer hunting. When I get back, Matt and I will have time to explore this in more detail. We need to have it in place before spring bear hunts.

Glad to hear so many people are interested in what I will be shooting. I can assure you that the decision will take a lot of consideration and not be made casually.

Gotta run. Brian needs my help answering Hank's questions as to how he should cook this coatimundi Brian shot this morning.

I've used supressors quite a bit hunting in NZ and they definitely help in that respect. But packing in deep chasing tahr they do add on weight and if that's a consideration you might be better off just using ear plugs to save your hearing.

Too bad the Alpine Mtn Rifle was discontinued. A very purpose driven rifle that will be difficult to truly replicate the functionality in regular rifle. A Kimber, Savage lightweight or Barrett Fieldcraft are about all that are really well suited to the steep mountains. Certainly for me anyway.

From one 308 forever guy to Randy. Nice rifle and Thanks for being so nice and letting me join you and Butch at the life member breakfast. Getting ready for the unlimited area. This just may be my year. Keep your fingers crossed. Thanks Coy

Too bad the Alpine Mtn Rifle was discontinued. A very purpose driven rifle that will be difficult to truly replicate the functionality in regular rifle. A Kimber, Savage lightweight or Barrett Fieldcraft are about all that are really well suited to the steep mountains. Certainly for me anyway.

What was the reasoning behind it? My brother just went to a gun shop last week asking about one and was told it was discontinued. Then I came across this thread.

good morning everyone,

album-72157663618716198

album-72157663618716198

I saw this, "it was at the end of its product life cycle" quote earlier and also wondered just what that means.
Given, manufacturers of most goods change thing up. Especially lately, as product design engineers must really be pushing the need for their services:rolleyes:. Models of all kinds of things seem to disappear and be replaced by just about the same thing only different in a short time.
But a few firearms come to mind: Ruger 10/22, Remington 870, Winchester Model 70 Featherweight. Just a very few products whose "life cycle" has been very long and is apparently still viable.
What determines a product like a firearm to be at the end of it's "life cycle"?

Last edited:
^^It’s not selling is my guess at the determiner of life cycle.

^^It’s not selling is my guess at the determiner of life cycle.

Yep. Not too tough to figure out. I doubt you will ever see the long lived iconic firearms onpoint described produced ever again. mtmuley

Last edited:
I am hoping he takes it on a hunt shoots something and then howa offers as a giveaway when show is posted. Randy gets a new gun to replace. Just an idea.

I am hoping he takes it on a hunt shoots something and then howa offers as a giveaway when show is posted. Randy gets a new gun to replace. Just an idea.

Due to liability issues, none of my used rifles get sold. :(

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back