Yeti GOBOX Collection

Brand new hunter with ammo questions

Probably pretty good advice, millions of animals were harvested before premium bullets appeared. CoreLokt and Hornady American White tail have been my go to ammo for black bear and whitetail in woods of MN and never thought twice about it. However, as I look towards my first western hunting trip this fall, where the shots will be longer, and the animals bigger, I am going to move up to a premium bullet. The cost of bullets shot to select one that works in my guns and to get a new zero will be a rounding error compared with all the other costs associated with the trip (and needed upgrades to other gear such as pack and spotting scope).

I agree. It's not really something that should be skimped on (I'm just getting into reloading so that I can fiddle around to have the absolute best ammunition) but I'm thinking that someone that just bought their first rifle would be better off shooting a bunch of less expensive ammo and getting experience than buying two boxes of the expensive stuff and shooting a box and a half.

The OP stated that this is their first hunting rifle, so maybe I'm just giving stupid information to someone that is an experienced shooter and hunter. If that's the case, buy the best!

Last edited:
but I'm thinking that someone that just bought their first rifle would be better off shooting a bunch of less expensive ammo and getting experience than buying two boxes of the expensive stuff and shooting a box and a half.

The OP stated that this is their first hunting rifle, so maybe I'm just giving stupid information to someone that is an experienced shooter and hunter. If that's the case, buy the best!

If OP's first rifle, OP definitely would be well served by buying an inexpensive bolt action .22LR or .223Rem and put a bunch of bullets down range in various shooting positions before worrying to much about which .270's shoot best.

If OP's first rifle, OP definitely would be well served by buying an inexpensive bolt action .22LR or .223Rem and put a bunch of bullets down range in various shooting positions before worrying to much about which .270's shoot best.

Well said. Of course this all goes out the window if the OP has a million dollars to throw around. In that case, buy the best and shoot 1000 rounds!

I have never shot a 270 at game, just never got around to it. If I were getting one to do what you want, I'd go with a 150gr bullet. Premium? Nope, it think the 150gr will slow down enough it won't tear u a bullet and if you take a shot that need's really good penetration, I'd still bet on the 150gr. Oh, and cup and core has never let me down but one time and that was my fault! I don't know what factory ammo is available, have bought very very little in the past 50yrs! If you were deer hunting and spring bear, I'd go with the 140gr. My belief is that many people use to light a bullet looking for speed. Speed by itself does not kill but a fast bullet coming apart inside an animal can make a real mess! I am quit sure the proper 130gr bullet will work but then even a 22 RF would work properly placed. But there are lot's better choices. That 130gr bullet on deer it would likely work on a spring bear also. But a fall bear will have a lot more fat to penetrate and a bit slower and heavier bullet will make a difference. The most important part of killing an animal is getting a bullet inside to destroy life giving organs. Bullet doesn't have to exit but then no blood trail if the animal does run off after the shot. If you do decide on a 140gr bullet, get a premium and I'm sure it will work but cost more! If you can't part with the money, I'm a penny pinching sucker, go heavier and a bit sloer on the bullet and get cup and core.

I'm just getting into reloading, myself, but if you're just going to be going with factory ammo, I've always been very partial to Hornady. I've killed a lot of critters with Interlocks, both in American Whitetail ammo and the boattail version in Hornady Customs. They shoot pretty good out of all my rifles, including my wife's .270. Their terminal performance is the best I've seen in standard cup and core bullets.

I've gotten fusions to shoot pretty well out of my .308, but I've never shot anything with them.

My vote is go with American Whitetail or find some Hornady Customs. I'd honestly not use SSTs on bear. The tend to be pretty accurate, Interlocks are tougher and hold together better.

I run the Winchester Supreme Accubond CT 140gr factory ammo in my 270 and it shoots pretty well when I run low on my reloads. I run 58.0 gr of H4831 on top of a 140gr Accubond and it straight up kills critters.

i would by a variety of ammo and see what works best, if you reload then you can fine tune. my particular rifle does very well with Barnes bullets, as well the Nosler BT or AB. i have never needed to use anything more than 130 grain, which in my opinion is all one will ever needs for the 270, especially when using a premium bullet. in saying that, please realize that so far, my 270 has only been used on a few deer, hogs and a bear or two, haven't had the opportunity to hunt elk, in which case i'd most likely go to a heavier bullet.

Thanks HuntTalkers for all the awesome info on ammo! When I get my shit together and finally buy a boat load of ammo (with the tons of money I have! Ha!) I'll figure out what works best for my .270, thanks again!

PaulRevere

Good advice so far. I would agree with the choice of either 130 grain Nosler Partition, or 130 grain TTSX. Whichever of the two that shoots the best in your rifle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back