Magazine

land7601

This may be a weird place to post this, but I am an elk hunter so I thought I would start here. Wondering if anyone subscribes to Field & Stream or Outdoor Life magazine? I am thinking of getting a subscription to one and thought I would see what others opinions were before I did.

-Alex

Both of those magazines seem to be nothing more than Top 10 lists or best new gear articles these days. If I wanted a magazine with a lot of elk hunting information, I'd go with Western Hunter or Eastmans.

Bugle. Must have.

OL just canned their Editor-in-chief. F&S isn't too bad, there some good writing in there at times.

I like F&S because they have Hal Herring and Bill Heavey. Join RMEF for Bulgle and BHA for Backcountry Journal.

Last edited:
I read Outdoor Life online but not a subscriber, I do enjoy Bugle & Backcountry Journal. The only other magazine I'll pay for is Fur-Fish-Game.

Both of those magazines seem to be nothing more than Top 10 lists or best new gear articles these days. If I wanted a magazine with a lot of elk hunting information, I'd go with Western Hunter or Eastmans.

This and Bugle magazine. Become a Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation member and get the magazine. Good group of folks.

I get both because they're so cheap. Not sure if you've found a deal but after your first subscription runs out, they basically give them to you to keep you subscribed. They may not have the best info but I always look forward to receiving new issues.

As a contributor to OL, and Bugle and as founding editor of Backcountry Journal, I agree with the above! RMEF and BHA the mag is bonus to a great cause. For OL and F&S, it's so cheap you can't say no. Plus there are some nuggets in there.

Bugle and Western Hunter for me. I have years of Eastman’s on hand.I wish you were close my wife would love to get rid of them.

Last edited:
I agree with the magazines suggested though I don't subscribe to many other than those that come with memberships to certain groups.

I've not read any of their stuff but Petersen's Hunting may be of interest and looks to be less than $0.75 an issue so even if it's no good you at least have some bathroom reading

Bugle from Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation - it is the only one I know of that has a significant amount of actual hunting stories and information. The rest seem to be thinly (sometimes very thinly) veiled catalogs from the highest bidding product manufacturers.

Thanks everyone! I joined RMEF, think it was about time I did that anyway. I subscribed to both OL and F&S, had no clue it would only cost me $15 a year to do so.

Glad to you join RMEF! Great organization and I think you will enjoy and get a lot out of Bugle..

I think Field and Stream is a solid magazine. Keith Mccaftery, Rick Bass, and Hal Herring have had some great articles in that magazine in recent years. Definitely worth the subscription price in my opinion. By the way the main feature is the February issue is on public lands

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back