Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Hawaii Fishing Advice

Wild Bill

Hey guys,
I will be heading to Hawaii mid February for vacation and was thinking about trying to do some fishing while there. We will be staying on O'ahu and it doesn't seem like we will be leaving that island at all. If anyone has any experience with a day trip/charter I'd appreciate any information.
I'm also open to bringing my fly rod if it would be worth it at all.
Thanks guys

Check out Coach Duff if you're interested in flyfishing for bonefish. Nervous waters for your fly shop needs. There are other bonefish guides that have good reputations (Ollie Owens comes to mind) and a quick internet search ought to turn them up.

Ive been to O'ahu once, was not able to do any fishing unfortunately. when I go back, I am planning on buying gear there, and mailing it back home once I leave. the resort we stayed at had kayaks, and I plan on fishing the shallows when time allows. keep us posted on your trip, I would love to be going there in a month!

Edit: if you want to do some snorkeling while you are there, I would recommend going to Ha'nauma bay on the east side. definitely worth the cost of admission.

Last edited:
WildBill

I lived on Oahu for several years. Speaking in generalities, it depends on the time of year you will be there. Honestly though, fishing off Oahu will most likely be a boat ride on the ocean. Go with the expectation of an enjoyable day on the water and maybe some fish. You won't be pulling in the numbers of fish as around the Big Island (Kona) or Maui. Check the link. this is a quick look at Best/worst times by species in Hawaiian waters... Be aware of the sun, it is intense, I would recommend you cover up completely.... Good Luck! https://www.humdingersportfishing.com/fishing-season/

Man I had more fun snorkeling than anything when I was there. Probably because our fishing trip was more of a yacht ride.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back