Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Mckean out at OL

Nemont

Just saw this on FB. I don't know a better person to carry the hunting message to the masses.

mckean_zps1mdzdt7m.jpg

This is a damned shame. Andrew has done so much to elevate sportsmen-conservationists and true conservation in his time as editor of Outdoor Life. I hope we dont' end up with another magazine more interested in food plots and cull bucks than the tough issues facing the modern sportsmen & women.

Was this the job that he just recently took as a promotion? Got promoted and then canned?

I agree. He was doing a great job pushing the public land issue.

Prior to him taking the OL job he worked at the Region 6 HQ of the FWP as their public relations officer.

He is a great guy who works on facts and not any rhetoric or agendas IMO. It is a loss of a reasonable, articulate and passionate voice for hunting and public lands issues with a sizable megaphone.

Nemont

Doesn't Ben Long contribute to outdoor life? Perhaps he has some insight... I don't know how to tag people so maybe somebody could help.

Wow, that's a real shame. I've really grown to respect Andrew in his time at OL.

I have no doubts they'll regret this, and I look forward to seeing what he does next.

If you'd like to register your displeasure or ask why this has occured, you can contact the public relations professional for the publisher at this email: [email protected]

Damn, this seems like a punch in the gut to conservationists and outdoorsmen, his leadership was one of the main reasons I kept my OL subscription up to date over the years. Hope he lands on his feet. Will be watching closely to see how this plays out for their content.

I was literally hours from subscribing when I read this today. I think I'll hold onto my money for awhile. His work on the public lands issues were the only reason I was going to renew my subscription.

OL lost a great one, but I suspect he will land on his feet somewhere and we will all be grateful. His body of work speaks for itself, this could be a great opportunity for him even if his had was forced.

Wow,

That’s a shock and I too had my renewal form for OL in my bills to pay Box.

Unlikely I will renew, I will wait and see what happens.

Honest, objective, informed outdoor media just took a kick in the crotch today. This is bad for hunting and conservation.

Wherever Andrew ends up, I will be a supporter of his work.

I just renewed. I want my money back. What a crying shame.
Shame on you Bonnier. Their excuses will be lame, guaranteed.

I have no inside information, but I would hazard a guess that if the Zinke interview played a role in his continued employment, it wasn't all of it. This link gives you a broader perspective on how all the mags under Bonnier are restructuring and attempting to become more profitable:
https://www.eater.com/2018/1/17/16902106/saveur-magazine-layoffs

Knowing McKean and others in the print world, it is a very tough world. As medias shift from analog to digital (TV included) there will certainly be casulties like this.

What I am certain of is that Andrew will be unemployed for as long as he needs to wet a line and shoot a gun and then be back to work elsewhere.

While I never had a subscription the only reason I ever bought an issue at the grocery store was because he wrote something that caught my eye. I hope wherever he lands he continues to have a platform to speak from. And I did send Ms. Battles an email expressing my displeasure.

According to that link, they laid off 17% of their American work force (70 people) today. So maybe just part of a broader reduction. Still sad, I enjoyed his work and look forward to him popping up elsewhere.

I wonder if anyone was let go from field and stream.

I think its probably a larger Bonnier issue than any real relation to Mckean and his work as 406life also stated. They have been killing magazines and cutting staff across brands, etc.

I only know what Andrew wrote in his Facebook post. Profoundly disappointing that Bonnier could not find a place for someone of Andrew's experience and talent. One of the very best editors I've ever written for.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back