Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Default

Also - in 20 years of fly fishing, I've used 6x tippet probably 5 times. Don't get too fancy with it - pick up some 4lb and 6lb florocarbon (I use P-Line) and call it good. 1/2 the price of fly shop tippet and casts better. I'd second the notion of waiting until you arrive at your destination and asking for fly patterns. NEVER buy just 1 fly of a particular pattern. I always buy flies in at least sets of 3, because invariably the one fly that's working you WILL snap off. It's better to have 3 each of 4 patterns than 12 different patterns. It also reduces your selection, and will make the shop person pick out really effective patterns, rather than just selling you stuff.

Thanks everyone for the information. Today I was just passing by cabelas bargain cave and saw they had a rod and reel super cheap. So I quickly added a rod and a reel to my cart and checked out before they were gone. they said limited quantity so I didn't want to miss out.

My question is this. The rod says 4 weight for the line. And the reel says 7-8 weight for line. Can you put 4w line on that type of reel? Either way if I need to buy a different rod or a different reel I got a good deal on both.
    What we do in life... echoes in eternity...

The reel will work with the rod, and will hold 4 wt line (w/ LOTS of backing) but it won’t be balanced in any way.
    Fear the beard....

so I should either invest in a different rod or a new reel? Both I am fine with I just saw the deal so I quickly jumped on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamen View Post
    so I should either invest in a different rod or a new reel? Both I am fine with I just saw the deal so I quickly jumped on it.
    Short version: You should return the reel and get one rated for 3/4 or 4/5.

For the most part, the rod itself and the balance of the entire rig is most important as a beginner (and always). Fulcrum point should be where grip meets blank in the front. I would guess with a 7/8 weight reel, yours is balanced WAY back towards the reel.

For the type of fish and fishing you've mentioned, your reel will mostly hold line. Doesn't need to be a tank-stopper with 300 yards of backing. Just needs to balance the rod.

Glad you're going down the path, though!!
    2016 HuntTalk Baseball Pool Champion

If you get a 7 or 8 weight rod to go with your reel, you will enter into a world of pike and musky fishing that will build extensive musclde memory in your casting arm as you try to hook water wolves by casting huge streamers that resemble ducks and otters.

You could also get into Steelhead & Salmon fishing.

but like everyone else has said, your trout rod will be poorly balanced and you should find a 4/5 weight reel. The old Pflueger medalist reels are tanks that will last for a few lifetimes and for trout, I've never had a problem with them. Good, inexpensive reels.
    get over it commies..
    JWP58

Thanks everyone! I think I will keep the reel as well it was only $19 was suppose to be $90. And down the road get a rod to go with it. I will look for a 4/5w reel!

Change in plans, Just got the confirmation email and looks like I was late to the discount party and all but one item is back ordered. So I just cancelled the order and purchased one of their combos in 5w.

9. Default

Late to the party on this one. My buddy taught me how to fly fish. My first rod/reel combo was a Cabelas low end combo (Still have it) 5/6 weight. I echo what others have said, rod is most important. Reel just stores line. I use that rod for most of my warm water fishing (Panfish, walleye, northern white bass, etc.) Also works for stream trout.

For warm water flies, I like streamers. Clouser is my #1, wooly bugger is 2nd. (I have caught everything on a clouser from bluegill to walleye/northern) Trout, well I would defer to others. They frustrate me to no end. No rhyme or reason why they bite on what. (Or ignore perfect presentations)

I have a 9 weight for saltwater and carp/northerns if I am after bigger stuff.

That sounds good to me, 5/6 weight.
    Regarding Fluorocarbon, I am not a fan of it, whilst it is relatively ok for nymph/lure fishing it is not suitable for dry fly fishing as it sinks.
    I find it has no elasticity, i.e. no give, so snaps off more readily than nylon/copolymer, but each to there own, just my opinion.
    Cheers
    Richard
    That's what the actress said to the bishop

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123