HT Mobile Viewing

VikingsGuy

Anybody aware of an iOS app that enable viewing the HT Forums better than just the standard iOS web browser? Some forums have a mobile view format and I think there are a few viewer apps for common "BBS backends". I ask, as between old eyes and impatience with constant zooming and panning it would be great to upgrade the HT experience on the go.

I think this has been brought up to Randy numerous times.... I believe its the cost of development that is the reason they haven't made an app or use other formats to better display it on your mobile devise.... I could be wrong though......

I think this has been brought up to Randy numerous times.... I believe its the cost of development that is the reason they haven't made an app or use other formats to better display it on your mobile devise.... I could be wrong though......

Dedicated app likely expensive, but this forum runs on a pretty common back end that may already have a mobile view- if so, that may be an affordable tweak we could “go fund me”.

YES...I have been debating starting up a forum on this. With my big fingers, it becomes a real pain in the @$$ to view the site on a mobile platform. Would love a more mobile friendly site or app.

Dedicated app likely expensive, but this forum runs on a pretty common back end that may already have a mobile view- if so, that may be an affordable tweak we could “go fund me”.

Randy just stated in another thread he is saving $55,000-$185,000 with not having to pay the Outdoor channel. Maybe he could use some of those funds to improve this site? LOL

HT appears to be running on vBulletin 4.2.3. vBulletin tech support page seems to say that this version (4.2.x) already has a "mobile style" that will autodetect and that all that has to be done is to enable it in the Admin Control Panel. Of course may be trickier than that in real life, but if it is already supported and it just takes a few minutes or a few hours of admin time to tweak I am happy to pitch in to share the likely small costs.

Search this forum for tapatalk, there are a few threads on why they have not done it. I don't recall the reasons.

Search this forum for tapatalk, there are a few threads on why they have not done it. I don't recall the reasons.

Tapatalk is one vendors approach, an approach that is apparently expensive and irritating. But from my understanding, vBulletin (the backbone of HT) has a simple built in style sheet that gets you a long way there without the downsides of tapatalk. If the developer of HT, Bridgeworks, did a standard install of vBulletin 4.2.x it should be less than an hour to change the settings and do a little testing. Also, the new version of vBulletin (v5.x) has both mobile styles and an optional dedicated app feature - but that would add some cost and change management for BigFin - I am not asking for that, but since they aren't doing anymore security updates for this version (4.2.x), HT will have to move there eventually.

Let's be clear, I am a thankful user and not suggesting BigFin owes us anything more than what we have, just posing the possibility there is an inexpensive win-win for all.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back