Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Wyoming Elk Points Question

Four22

If I put in for elk this year and don't draw I get a preference point.

Question is.... Am i still able to purchase an additional point prior to the October 31 deadline?

Trying to figure out a way to get out and hunt elk in the next couple years. I'm interested in a limited quota area because i have a friend with several thousand acres that will allow me to hunt...

Negative. One point per year whether you get it in the draw, or by buying it later in the summer.

How about this twist for a new guy. Do I have to apply for a WY tag this month to be eligible to purchase a preference point in the summer? Just trying to keep my options open while picking up points to "hunt Elk every year". Thanks!

Nope u can just wait and get point, only difference is if u apply now they charge a applicaton fee(was$14) since your in draw. 1 point per year per species

Chris

Talk to the guy from Utah who hacked the Wyoming system. He could probably get you 2+ points a year!

SO I have a similar question...not worth starting a new thread over. Let’s say I get drawn for a 2018 hunt. I’ll loose my pref points...but could I then buy a point this coming October and have one point for the 2019 draw?

So can you buy a point the same year you draw a tag?

Last edited:
SO I have a similar question...not worth starting a new thread over. Let’s say I get drawn for a 2018 hunt. I’ll loose my pref points...but could I then buy a point this coming October and have one point for the 2019 draw?

So can you buy a point the same year you draw a tag?

Negative

Four 22 does the unit you are looking at have type 2 tags, those typically have better odds.

Type 1, 4, 6, 7 only

My only hold up right now is its a 8-9 points to draw unit... and I don't know that I want to wait that long... I screwed up and didn't buy a point last year so I'm at zero.

Are the points unit specific? Meaning if I put in for unit 7, can my points only be used in unit 7?

But, what if he could buy more than one point? I have an idea. WY can sell 10-packs of extra points to non-residents at same price as a current point. The limiting factor, other than how much money you have, is you can not buy more points than puts you at max points for that species. Since WY's point system created a favored class in Year 1 of launch then only seems would be interesting to see how loud the squeals are when everyone with a few thousand dollars catches up in a year or two to the Max Point Pool for sheep or whatever. We would effectively dismantle what was and is a discriminatory system of awarding tags. I propose this be tied to a bill removing corner-hopping restrictions and a implementing a mandatory wait period to apply when draw a tag. After a few years, everyone with money is on an even standing for drawing a tag. Your young daughter or son is no longer 45 years from drawing that moose tag. And the person in Max Point Pool that had a 20 year head start to draw a sheep tag can smile knowing they had 20 years to draw a tag under a flawed system and now are once again just a commoner rather than royalty. Viva la Lady Luck!

Type 1, 4, 6, 7 only

My only hold up right now is its a 8-9 points to draw unit... and I don't know that I want to wait that long... I screwed up and didn't buy a point last year so I'm at zero.

Are the points unit specific? Meaning if I put in for unit 7, can my points only be used in unit 7?

Fair warning, an 8-9 point unit now could easily be an 16-20 point unit by the time you draw it. Of course, you could draw a random tag this year if you put in for it.

Points are not unit specific, only species specific.

I have a related question. If I draw my first choice would I be charged the preference point fee even though I drew a tag? And if so would I have a point for next year?

Fair warning, an 8-9 point unit now could easily be an 16-20 point unit by the time you draw it. Of course, you could draw a random tag this year if you put in for it.

Points are not unit specific, only species specific.

that's my fear.....

that's my fear.....

What's your fear? To follow up on his answer, PPs are not unit specific as you are building them, only when you actually make an application where they will be used to possibly draw that first choice tag. Guys really need to spend a few minutes on the G&F website that fully explains how PPs are obtained, etc. since most of these questions being asked are answered right in black and white in the website application booklet.

Fear of buying points for 10 years and still cant pull a tag where I WANT hunt.... AKA never catching the points creep. Can I still pull a tag somewhere else.... yes.

My apologies for asking a question that's answered in 3 minutes rather than reading the regs for hours.......

Back