Caribou Gear

Northern colorado hunting partner needed

Wapiti87

Hi all! My name is Richie and I am looking for an archery elk hunting partner for the upcoming elk season. I've been looking into colorado gmu 14 north of steamboat. I have been scouting the land through Google earth and onx maps and have been digging for any information available. I would really like to backpack in 6 to 8 miles to set up a camp and hunt from there getting a couple miles from roads and trails. I have been running and using the stairmaster to get myself in prime shape. I also plan on doing a couple scouting trips this summer before season. I'm hoping to find someone to hunt with as I am going to be solo as of now. If anyone has any friendly advice or suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks All!

Last edited:
Hi all! My name is Richie and I am looking for an elk hunting partner for the upcoming elk season. I've been looking into colorado gmu 14 north of steamboat. I have been scouting the land through Google earth and onx maps and have been digging for any information available. I would really like to backpack in 6 to 8 miles to set up a camp and hunt from there getting a couple miles from roads and trails. I have been running and using the stairmaster to get myself in prime shape. I also plan on doing a couple scouting trips this summer before season. I'm hoping to find someone to hunt with as I am going to be solo as of now. If anyone has any friendly advice or suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks All!

Hi Richie,

Good luck next year. I wish I was headed that way, there are certainly alot of elk in the area! One thought: Have you really internalized what it means to pack an elk out 6-8 miles? If so, great. It's just that my sphincter contracted when I read that. Maybe it's because I'm in my 40's now...

I'd agree.... I'm in my early 30's and I'd be more likely to do a 3-5 mile pack out but not a 6-8.... Is this an OTC tag? I have my hat in the ring for some tags already and have plans for a few others.... If they fall through (don't get drawn) then I'd might consider teaming up. Just depends how all my tags play out, cant be gone for months or I will come home to an empty house.... ha

Im 30 years old but my 6 to 8 mile hike in maybe a stretch. My main goal is to get away from other hunters. While that may not be possible in this Otc unit. My plan is to hunt is to hunt for a week to 9 days. I live on the front range in northern Colorado. CampripleyLF if your tags fall through let me know. Thanks for the reply guys I really appreciate it!

I also forgot to mention I will be going archery season and this will be my first ever elk hunt but I won't be that average 1st timer!

Last edited:
I also forgot to mention I will be going archery season and this will be my first ever elk hunt but I won't be that average 1st timer!
I am also planning to hunt GMU 14 archery this year. I just moved out of state last year so I’ll be coming in for a week to hunt probably the 12-19. I’ve hunted GUM 8 the last 2 seasons, unsuccessfully, but would be more than willing to meet up and hunt.

Talking about taking an elk out 8 miles in archery weather on my back is one of the only ways I have ever found to make tag soup sound appetizing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back