Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Opinions? Stone Glacier vs MR vs Kuiu

I have a kuiu icon pro 3200 and it suits my needs. I rarely carry loads over 55-60lbs but it is lightweight and sturdy enough for me. It has lots of pockets if that's what you like and is modular as in you can add other Icon pro or ultra bags as your needs change. I'm sure some of the other brands are better in ways but it does what I need for now. I'm going to eventually upgrade to a stone glacier or kifaru but that's not anytime soon.

Utahminer, he had the icon pro first model. Both failures were catastrophic and occurred with 80+lbs. The Kuiu frames are and were fairly rigid and don't seem to handle slow lateral torque very well. Both times failure occurred when we had to bend over to get under a branch or something and then came up at a weird angle, essentially there was weight at the top corner of one side of the pack and the bottom, obviously, was secured via the waist belt and since the pack frame doesn't have the ability to deal with torsional strain it snapped. We sent in the pack, kuiu customer service was awesome sent him a new pack, couple weeks later with a second bull under similar circumstances the same thing happened, he sent in the pack once again and again they had him a new one in no time. I don't really have any gripes about Kuiu, but that particular pack design is flawed. They definitely can handle long heavy packs, and being tossed off cliffs, but slow twisting as you might encounter fighting your way through brush or picking your way through a steep scree field can cause them to fail. I can't possibly imagine one surviving the pack out big fin did last year in CO, those were pretty much the exact same conditions that broke both packs.

Next season after the failures my bro got a Kifaru and hasn't had an issue. I'm using a stone glacier and I think the two packs are equally good. My brother-in-law lives in CO I was in MT at the time and we both got them at each companies respective stores, I think if he had been in MT and I in CO we would have ended up with opposite packs. Also Kurt and Pete at SG don't screw around when it comes to customer service, my sister-in-law couldn't get her pack to fit right and they talked her through adjustments over the phone I think they might have even done facetime or something to see what the issue was with her adjustments. I wonder if Jason would do the same... Aron Snyder at Kifaru definitely would.

Last edited:
I think the Kuiu frame issue was addressed in the new model, and even then it wasn't all that common. Someday If I get rid of mine I'll be going to a Seek Outside pack, if you haven't had your hands on one they're worth a look.

I have a MR Longbow and KUIU 1800 and 3000 bag. They both are comfortable and I've hauled many game animals in each. I tend to like hunting with the KUIU, since it is lighter but then grab the MR for packing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back