Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Tactical Pants

Josh24

Does anyone use tactical pants like 5.11 for stalks out west? I’m a junior in college and I can’t afford the $190 Sitka pants like I wish I could but 5.11s are doable with my budget. Any other suggestions for pants to wear are greatly appreciated.

Go to goodwill and find some wool trousers. I wear some Costco pants for early season rifle hunting. they are a touch too loud for archery. Cabelas has some ok pants that work well too. I wore Duluth Trading DuluthFlex Dry-on-fly pants for a long time but you can sometimes find Sitka pants for the same price.

I shoot matches in 5.11’s. They’re really comfortable, have good flexibility, and are really durable but I found out the hard way they’re pretty thin when it comes to cold weather. Even with base layer bottoms they don’t do much for you in the warmth department. I’d say early season they’re great but you’ll want to find another pant for late season.

Don't know what state you'll be hunting but I have used 5.11's in previous hunts. They works well in the desert brush found in NM and AZ. The reason I have 5.11's is because of my job.

Like others said, expensive cameo in not necessary.

You don’t need fancy camo clothing to hunt. I really like wearing BDUs in nice weather. My favorite cold weather pants currently are milsurp 1951 wool pants I bought for ~$10. If you’re a college student, wear what you own for now.

I wear Duluth dry on the fly cargo pants a lot for hunting and everyday. If you sign up for the Duluth email deals they can be found for a discount.

BDUs (and similar army surplus pants) in terrain appropriate coloring have been my go to pants for hunting, fishing, camping, canoing, hiking, etc for 35 years - work great on per $ basis.

Last edited:
BDUs (and similar army surplus pants) in terrain appropriate coloring have been my go to pants for hunting, fishing, camping, canoing, hiking, etc for 35 years - work great on per $ basis.

Wear them to work everyday for 20 years, sometimes in very tough conditions, and you won't be singing the same tune. The benefit of wearing them for a career is that you get some pretty sweet deals on the good hunting and mountaineering stuff.

I like Duluth Trading company alot. Mostly the Dry on the fly pants and they recently came back out with a DWR finished softshell pant, I think they are called the blackhills pant. Pretty similar performance to a FL Corrugate or Sitka 90% for about 1/3 the price. I will let you know how they work compared to Timberlines, after this lion hunt I am going on the next 7ish days.

Wear them to work everyday for 20 years, sometimes in very tough conditions, and you won't be singing the same tune. The benefit of wearing them for a career is that you get some pretty sweet deals on the good hunting and mountaineering stuff.

I like Duluth Trading company alot. Mostly the Dry on the fly pants and they recently came back out with a DWR finished softshell pant, I think they are called the blackhills pant. Pretty similar performance to a FL Corrugate or Sitka 90% for about 1/3 the price. I will let you know how they work compared to Timberlines, after this lion hunt I am going on the next 7ish days.

I like my DL, FL Courrugate and Cabela's upland pants a lot too, but per $ hard to beat modern BDUs. But I only wear 15-20 days a year, not full time.

I like my DL, FL Courrugate and Cabela's upland pants a lot too, but per $ hard to beat modern BDUs. But I only wear 15-20 days a year, not full time.

You are pretty local to me. Not sure what size you wear, but I have toughboxes full of BDUs (Woodland, Desert, ACU; sorry no OCPs I still have to wear them for a few years) if you are intersted.

Look at the Cabela's line of microtex clothing. It's inexpensive and has been holding up well to what I've put it through. Good for early season and with layering, for late season as well.

You are pretty local to me. Not sure what size you wear, but I have toughboxes full of BDUs (Woodland, Desert, ACU; sorry no OCPs I still have to wear them for a few years) if you are intersted.

Thanks for the thought - HT is a pretty cool corner of the internet. I am probably a few sizes bigger than you + I am fortunate now to be able to buy the pricey stuff (not true during my early years) so I am sure their are some younger HTer's that could use your generosity more than I.

Pants aside, it would be interesting to pull together an MN HT happy hour some day - seems to be a fair number of us "10,000 lakes" guys who are seeking arid hunting experiences here on HT.

Thanks for the thought - HT is a pretty cool corner of the internet. I am probably a few sizes bigger than you + I am fortunate now to be able to buy the pricey stuff (not true during my early years) so I am sure their are some younger HTer's that could use your generosity more than I.

Pants aside, it would be interesting to pull together an MN HT happy hour some day - seems to be a fair number of us "10,000 lakes" guys who are seeking arid hunting experiences here on HT.

I'm in for happy hour. I too have a tough box full of old BDU pants if anyone interested.

Not a fan of 5.11's. They tend to be a little bit noisy and very restricting on me but I'm 6'4" 240. I got a pair of Kuhl pants last year for backpacking/hunting and they are durable, comfortable, affordable (when on sale), and very forgiving; allowing for a full range of movement. I would suggest going to your local outdoors store and finding the pair that fits the best and is most comfortable and then finding that pair online. There are some great deals out there.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back