Flatlander Coming West:cds question

I have harvested more deer than I can count with Nosler Ballistic Tips in various calibers .243 to .300 WSM most with a .308 and I would not use them on a elk. I have switched to Accubond or Partitions for Mule deer on up.

I'm not sure what a CDA is. As for change in point of impact, probably will be some just don't know how much. If you re-zero when you get there and set the zero for say an 8" target, you'll likely be good for any shot you take to hold in the animal to somewhere around 300 yds.

Check your zero when you get here. Regarding the BT's, you'll be fine.

Everyone get's wound up over the pictures on Nosler's boxes. If those are so set into stone, there's a picture of an elk on my Nosler .243" bullets. I guess that means the .243 for Elk argument is finally over..

A .270 would likely still do fine with the ballistic tip, but the Accubond is hard to beat for a good balance of penetration and energy transfer to the body.

It's funny that the elevation CDS question comes up, I just spoke to Leupold on Monday regarding the exact concern. The custom shop rep told be that it is accurate to +/- 2000ft of what ever elevation you give them.

9" paper plate accurate?

I would shoot over a chrono at home durring practice, then download Strelok into your phone.
Even the free version would work.

As for the Ballistic Tips. I have taken many deer with them. Not sure i would recommend/use them on elk.
Would go Accubond, Partition, or ABLR

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tracker boat
Back