Caribou Gear Tarp

Flatlander Coming West:cds question

stevejfarms

I live in Southeast Missouri(elev. ~ 120') in the flatlands and am planning on coming west this fall for an elk hunt for the first time. My understanding is that my zero will change at altitude. Will this also change the accuracy of my cds at different yardages, or can I reset the zero at altitude and everything still work afterwords?

Thanks in advance

You zero will change if any of the following changed from the day you set zero on your rifle:
Outside air temp
Outside air humidity
Temperature of the powder
Cleanliness of the barrel on the first round shot during hunt
Elevation
Temperature
Barometric pressure
Angle of the shot impacts horizontal distance traveled
Wind direction which might be 3 directions along the bullet path if near a canyon
Bullet assembly (seating depth, powder volume, primer, etc)

On a 300 yard shot, some of the above changes move the bullet up, some down and some sideways. Temperature and elevation would be my focus if shooting the same ammo as used at the range. Most of the others except the wind can be ignored on a 300 yard shot but is nice to know the expected impact of each factor.

Here is a start if want to read up on the science of a fired round:
http://www.rifleshootermag.com/ballistics/environmental-factors-shooting/
http://www.longrangebpcr.com/Accuracy.htm

From first hand experience the simple sender is yes. Order your dial for where you are hunting then rezero when you get there. Don’t forget the Allen wrench supplied with your dial.

I understand that all will change, but I'm wondering if the graduations on the cds dial will still be reasonably accurate if you reset the zero at altitude, or would you have to have a separate turret for the altitude you are shooting? I guess this should have been posted in optics...sorry.

While we're at it, I will be bring my rem 700 in .270 win what bullets would you recommend? I get 1" groups consistently with a buddies 140 gr nosler ballistic tip handloads. They do fine on whitetails, but I don't know that the ballistic tip is a good elk bullet. Thanks for the help.

When you order your dial you give them the altitude you are going to be hunting at. For most hunting situations it will just need to be +\- 1000 feet. Don’t order it for where you live. There is quite a few threads on here that cover the CDs.

Another option....

You can use a ballistic calculator to develop a drop chart (in MOA) with the elevation/air temp for the area you will be hunting and use the factory supplied MOA CDS dial instead of the custom one cut for your round at sea level.

It would be good to run a few rounds at elevation and ambient air temp to verify the chart.

Not sure how helpful this will be but you can make it a goal to get within 100 yards and then the CDS and any "calculations" are irrelevant. Just makes things simpler IMO.

While we're at it, I will be bring my rem 700 in .270 win what bullets would you recommend? I get 1" groups consistently with a buddies 140 gr nosler ballistic tip handloads. They do fine on whitetails, but I don't know that the ballistic tip is a good elk bullet. Thanks for the help.

I would recommend a different nosler instead of the ballistic tip. According to Nosler's website "Nosler® offers three bullets which we feel are suitable for elk given an adequate cartridge: the Partition®, AccuBond® and the E-Tip®"

Barnes TSX for the win. They can't come apart like a Nosler.

Stick with the ballistic tips if they shoot that well...elk aren't armor plated.

Question #1: Regarding your CDS turret, I would order another one for the elevation you will be hunting at and re- zero when you get to your destination. This is a pretty inexpensive way to ensure your rifle will be as accurate as possible.

Question #2: Regarding Ballistic Tips, Nosler doesn't recommend them for use on elk or moose, unless you are using their 30 caliber 180 grain bullet. That bullet is built more like their Accubond bullet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back