• Idaho

Votes: 14 10.1%
  • Nevada

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Nebraska

Votes: 3 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well , I i am sitting here with My front door open. I think You forgot to AZ. on your list. Great Hunting ,weather and if your into sports we got it all pro's and collage.....BOB!. .....

New Mexico seems to be doing a good job of insulating itself from the recent economic growth, so real estate is still relatively affordable here.

Well , I i am sitting here with My front door open. I think You forgot to AZ. on your list. Great Hunting ,weather and if your into sports we got it all pro's and collage.....BOB!. .....
I only had ten slots but looks like I should have skipped the Dakotas and put on New Mexico and Arizona

Lol. Good one!

I guess it kind of depends on what type of hunting/fishing you're looking for but if I could pick one, it'd be Wyoming. When it comes to wildlife management, availability of tags, limited amounts of people, tons of public land, diversity of landscape, etc, I just don't know how you can beat it. There is some great deer and elk hunting in general units and you could easily get an antelope buck tag every year too. You could also pick up an extra antelope buck tag, extra cow tags and extra deer and antelope doe tags. You could have 8-10 tags each year if you wanted to for less than $500.

This is a poll in which whoever wins, loses. I voted for a state other than my favorite.
Everyone should go to UT.

I love MT, but as I am getting closer to that age, getting back to the Black Hills doesn't seem as far-fetched anymore.

Have only visited California once & loved it...so I guess it'd be Colorado for me.

I have been looking at Wyoming closer but the only issue I have seen is compared to South Carolina home prices are much higher, I was surprised.

Don't look into Jackson Hole. Could trigger a heart attack!

I disagree.

You have the national elk refuge close by and with any cow tag you could show up Saturday morning and get in the lotto for a permission slip.

You are close enough to hunt region G or H for mulies and elk every year.

You can fly fish the grays, snake, and hoback during the summer.

Some of the better black bear hunting can also be had in that area.

There is also duck and good hunting opportunities, especially if you travel over the mountain into Idaho.

Mack fishing at Jackson Lake if that tickles your fancy.

You have more than one choice for a grocery store and Idaho Falls isn't too far away for other shopping.

Skiing and Snowboarding are close by.

The only thing Jackson is really limited on is Pronghorn and Sage Chicken hunting, but within a hour drive you could be in some great country for both.

I mean you could always live in Alpine or Hoback junction and do the same, but Jackson is by no means a bad place to live.

I disagree.

You have the national elk refuge close by and with any cow tag you could show up Saturday morning and get in the lotto for a permission slip.

You are close enough to hunt region G or H for mulies and elk every year.

You can fly fish the grays, snake, and hoback during the summer.

Some of the better black bear hunting can also be had in that area.

There is also duck and good hunting opportunities, especially if you travel over the mountain into Idaho.

Mack fishing at Jackson Lake if that tickles your fancy.

You have more than one choice for a grocery store and Idaho Falls isn't too far away for other shopping.

Skiing and Snowboarding are close by.

The only thing Jackson is really limited on is Pronghorn and Sage Chicken hunting, but within a hour drive you could be in some great country for both.

I mean you could always live in Alpine or Hoback junction and do the same, but Jackson is by no means a bad place to live.

You are right. Quick Google search and I found a nice little house that is in my budget.

http://www.jacksonholerr.com/PropertyDetails?mls_num=17-2915

Thinking of moving out west for retirement. For the guys who live out west What state would you choose? I would probably be spending my winters back in the south to spend time with the family but that would be after hunting season. No state income taxes, low property taxes on houses and cars, low insurance cost and low are all things I am looking for. I live in SC and love it but after 50 years I need to stretch my legs and get away from everybody.

5 years ago I faced the same decision. Where can I live that I can hunt, fish, and 4 wheel out my back door and live for almost nothing. I took numerous vacations to check out numerous possibilities. Went to Idaho, New Mexico, Alaska and Wyoming. Decided on Carbon county Wyoming. Bought a house in Hanna for a fraction of the price of other cities. Why would I want to live in a turd hole town like Hanna, a shut down coal mine town where the wind always blows. Let me see. I 4 wheel out my back door. Deer hunt 5 minutes one way, antelope hunt five minute the other direction. North Platte river 30 minutes one way, snowy range mts 30 minutes the other way. With the money I saved on my house in Hanna, I built me a small cabin in the mountains to play in. Yes the winters can get brutal, but I spend the winters in a little beach house in Tx. The winter weather may be nicer, but I can hardly wait to get back to Wyoming.

5 years ago I faced the same decision. Where can I live that I can hunt, fish, and 4 wheel out my back door and live for almost nothing. I took numerous vacations to check out numerous possibilities. Went to Idaho, New Mexico, Alaska and Wyoming. Decided on Carbon county Wyoming. Bought a house in Hanna for a fraction of the price of other cities. Why would I want to live in a turd hole town like Hanna, a shut down coal mine town where the wind always blows. Let me see. I 4 wheel out my back door. Deer hunt 5 minutes one way, antelope hunt five minute the other direction. North Platte river 30 minutes one way, snowy range mts 30 minutes the other way. With the money I saved on my house in Hanna, I built me a small cabin in the mountains to play in. Yes the winters can get brutal, but I spend the winters in a little beach house in Tx. The winter weather may be nicer, but I can hardly wait to get back to Wyoming.

Sounds delightful...your beach house weather the storm ok?

Back