• Idaho

Votes: 14 10.1%
  • Nevada

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Nebraska

Votes: 3 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
lived in WY when I was 13 and moved to CA when I was 19, took me until I was 47 to get out of CA.

If I thought I could have talked my wife into WY instead of ID I would have. I'm very happy in ID but I loved WY.

On my way at some point to most likely Montana or Wyoming! Lived in SW ID since I was a kid, it was and is a great place, alot of outdoor opportunity, hunting/fishing etc. within a couple hours in almost any direction, all with Boise not too far and everything you could want/need there. However, it's getting a bit crowded for my taste, I told the wife SE AK would be about perfect and she told me MT was about as far as she would go- that works for me! We have started looking around central MT. Best of luck in your search!

Last edited:
Thinking of moving out west for retirement. For the guys who live out west What state would you choose? I would probably be spending my winters back in the south to spend time with the family but that would be after hunting season. No state income taxes, low property taxes on houses and cars, low insurance cost and low are all things I am looking for. I live in SC and love it but after 50 years I need to stretch my legs and get away from everybody.

IMO I believe Owyhee county in Idaho, out of Homedale. Great place too live, lots of opportunity for waterfowl if your into that. This state has almost unlimited hunting opportunities and probably the best Perch fishery right now in the United State (Cascade Lake) 2lb perch are fairly common. The Treasure Valley has the best weather in the state, for most of Dec. and Jan. its in the 20's at night and 40 degrees during the day. Just last night it was a low of 40 and today is a high of 52 and its January. Usually don't have much wind at all here, this is the high desert so not much for Rain or Snow. That being said there is something about growing up in NE MT that I would like too move back at some point. Lots of stuff I miss there that Idaho doesn't have, like Sharptail grouse. Hunting I believe is a bit better for older and youth hunters, driving/glassing/small walks. Compared too the giant mountains of Idaho. You can get a good idea of all the stuff you can do by browsing all the posts I have started with pics, from Walleye's on the Columbia to Perch at Cascade to Giant Mule Deer to Elk to Pronghorn, and hopefully this year a MT Goat, bighorn, or Moose. Good luck on your decision.
Matt

I like AZ and NM for combo of hunting and winters,

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back