Votes: 14 10.1%
  • Nevada

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Nebraska

Votes: 3 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

C.W.Barber

Thinking of moving out west for retirement. For the guys who live out west What state would you choose? I would probably be spending my winters back in the south to spend time with the family but that would be after hunting season. No state income taxes, low property taxes on houses and cars, low insurance cost and low are all things I am looking for. I live in SC and love it but after 50 years I need to stretch my legs and get away from everybody.

Welcome. I can't answer the question, but can't wait to see what people say and why. :)

Nevada, South Dakota and Wyoming have no income tax. SOme states will have higher insurance costs but your cost of living in a rural state will be lower regardless since housing prices are lower, etc.

I think you should be looking at quality of life as well as income and as such, if you're not up for a real winter, then get rid of anything north of I-70. AZ has great hunting opportunity and is a good state for retirement. Wyoming is great as well due to no state income tax, although that might be coming to an end as the state tries to grapple with their extraction-based revenue issues.

NM, AZ and southern CO would be my choices if I were retiring and wanted to avoid shoveling snow 4 months out of the year.

...and wanted to avoid shoveling snow 4 months out of the year.

Ever since the Helena city snow plow drivers caught onto Mr. Lamb's address, Ben has found himself quite proficient at shoveling snow...

If I wasn't from here, and my passion for my state didn't go unrivaled, and if all the trout died, and for some reason we lost all our sheep, and if we gave into outfitters on all issues bull elk, and if ever got a sales tax without a simultaneous property tax repeal, then I would leave Montana. Mebbe not.

I would probably go to WY. Lots of opportunity, fewer people, great scenery, biodiversity as close to MT, central to the rest of the west, and my mom's side of the family still has ranches there. That'd be my choice.

I moved from Kansas to Wyoming, love going back to chase whitetail and birds, but I really do enjoy living in Wyo. Lots of stuff to do with more big game hunting than I've ever experienced. Although my lake season is shorter, it'd take something monumental to make me uproot. Cheap insurance, no income taxes and the wind keeps the riff raff out.You could be a "greenie" from Colorado, but man buns and skinny jeans run rampant. Montana is legit and much more room than Wyo, we have too many antelope to harbour more humans.

If I wasn't from here, and my passion for my state didn't go unrivaled, and if all the trout died, and for some reason we lost all our sheep, and if we gave into outfitters on all issues bull elk, and if ever got a sales tax without a simultaneous property tax repeal, then I would leave Montana. Mebbe not.

I agree with that sentiment.

WY wouldn't be bad, assuming you don't mind some wind.

I went thru this 10 yrs ago. Lived in several western states & hunted/fished the west.
Where can I retire & go live on a small pension/SS.
I chose NM.
I gave up a bunch of social type stuff...Convienience...Great fishing...
Gained peace of mind,more land than I ever thought or needed,same with excellent water. Elk everywhere.
Public Lands & access. Low or no taxes really. NM food.

The poll results will be skewed towards Montana because most of us on the forum live here. I love mountains, so take away the Dakotas and Nebraska and you couldn't go wrong with the remaining choices in my opinion.

Retire? Do you have boat loads of money? Yes=Cali (just ignore the politics and go fishing offshore) No=Dakotas (dirt cheap... meaning you can afford to do whatever the heck you want to get out of the Dakotas)

Great replys from everyone. i would never have thought of new Mexico but will look at that state now for sure.

I vote Arizona. Second choice is Colorado since AZ not on the list but offers all the big game that CO does other than mountain goat. AZ counters with Coues deer. AZ wins for me.

Great replys from everyone. i would never have thought of new Mexico but will look at that state now for sure.[/QUOTE
I was going to vote MT just to poke BF & gang. Lived & worked there in 70's.
I'm slim & tend to get cold in below zero ...unlike some with, Nordic blood ...LOL

I asked this same question a few years ago...now i live in wyoming and couldnt be happier! There are to many reasons to list but if not here it would of been montana but so much cheaper here for me and my situation. To be frank everything is better...lol

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back