Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

270 ammo is getting expensive. should i buy a 22 LR?

aman

Cost per range session is getting pretty expensive with my 270 Win T3x. I don't think I can set up equipment for reloading in my apartment.

Should I invest in a 22 LR? The rifle + rings + scope would be a decent investment but I would probably go to the range much more often. Would the skills be transferrable?

Any practice is good practice and yes it would really help you. Shoot from lots of different positions. Do Standing, kneeling, prone, and from various rests. It's a great way to spend an afternoon and if you have children or know someone who might like to get into shooting, take them with you!

I shoot 10x the ammo through my .22 than my 9mm semi-auto. Any time spent working on form, breathing, etc is valuable. When the instance arises need to quickly react, are focused on target rather than the mechanics.

I have a 22 that I use to practice from, followup, breathing, etc. It will really help you out.

Will I need to buy another scope or can I get away with iron sights?

Try to find a 22 that is similar to what your 270 is. Similar safety, length of pull, and action. If your 270 has a scope, I would buy one for the 22 as well.

Nobody should be without a .22.

Another option would be a .223 and run the cheap military surplus ammo through it. I usually do most of my centerfire practice with either my Howa .223 or my AR, and trajectory is pretty close to my .30/06.

Big fan of .22LR in anyone's collection, but FWIW, I really like .223 Rem as a high volume centerfire practice rifle. The .223 allows you to do target practice longer ranges typical of western hunting(200-450yds), whereas the .22LR is very range limited even punching paper.

Why can't you reload in an apt ? I've been doing it for years & years & years. My set up works right off the kitchen table and tucks away into a milk crate in the closet.

This was my setup in our old townhouse. I had a dedicated corner in my home office for it, and it worked just fine for multiple rifle and pistol reloading.

216037_1024833791780_6861_n.jpg

That's a great setup Ben! But I don't think I can set that up in my apartment :p

There are a lot of options!

Take a look on youtube for reloading in an apartment. Folks are using some creative solutions for limited/shared spaces. It can be done easily, and if you have a little closet or storage space, you can have a mobile set up.

Yeah I'm looking around. I'm trying to figure out a solution for a mount. Let me know if you come across any good ideas.

Did you really think this bunch of reprobates was going to discourage you from buying another rifle (or with the 223 votes) or two? Of course you need a 22, it's a great way to practice trigger pull, form, breathing, odd rests, etc. But mostly, just cause they're damn fun to shoot, and shoot a lot. Set it up as closely as you can to your 270, then muscle memory takes over.

Back