Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Looking for help wyoming antelope hunt

Want to come down this fall , if anyone wants to show me and my son around. Will be first time down . We are from Canada nothin for points as of yet .

Make sure you look at a map for how much public land is in the valleys and not just rely on percentages from a secondary source. I made that mistake and there were 30 or so of us in a very small area of public land. Still had a great time on that hunt but learned i would prefer to have some elbow room.

How does the land owner tags work , does a guy need to be drawn for that. Or does he just buy the tags from land owner ?

You can buy transferrable landowner tags in NM and some good hunts in northern NM but you need to drive all the way south through WY and through CO to reach northern NM.

You should be able to draw buck tags in any of about 20 pronghorn units in WY if you list as a first choice and apply in the Regular draw. If apply in the Special draw then should be able to draw a tag in the same 20 units plus a few more. I say "should" as the 2017 draw statistics will likely be worse in 2018 due to the improved economy and rising stock values making hunters feel they can splurge a bit on out of state hunts in 2018. Also, WY allows applicants to merely buy a pronghorn point rather than actively try to draw a tag and due to increased fees accessed to non-residents there will be hunters attempting to "burn" off their accumulated points and say Hasta La Vista to WY as they did to MT after a similar fee increase there. MT is finally about back to where they were for application numbers. The shock creates a reaction then time heals all screw jobs. A guy at work remarried his ex-wife a couple of years ago. She will likely screw him over yet again but the pain of the prior disaster faded and he thought he would apply, er, marry again. Every state will eventually change the rules or accelerate price increases so non-residents are screwed over more than residents. WY is likely going to halve allocation to non-residents soon for the primo species such as sheep, moose, bison and goat. Maybe not this year, maybe not next, but the 45 year wait to get a sheep tag if you start building points this year for sheep is about to be 90 years. Yippee.

Sorry about the double post. Puter acting wonky. Feel free to send me pm if you have questions.

Anyone on the fence about hunting pronghorn in WY should just commit to it. It's a very visual and active hunt so the learning curve isn't very steep, you can have multiple stalks in a day and learning from your mistakes should occur very quickly. If you have a few days of hunting scheduled you'll likely fill your tags in pretty much any unit you can draw with 0 points if you do your homework on access - there are antelope pretty much everywhere in WY. My hunting partner and I have also written a little on hunting WY pronghorn too:

http://engineeredpursuit.com/home-on-the-range/
http://engineeredpursuit.com/the-most-accessible-western-big-game-hunt/

Step one: Apply for a easy to draw unit in eastern WY.
Step two: Apply for a Unit 7 MT lope tag.
Step three: Drive to WY and shot lope.
Step four: Start driving home and stop in MT and shoot another lope.

If you don't care about horn size, can walk a bit and shoot a rifle you should be OK.

Step one: Apply for a easy to draw unit in eastern WY.
Step two: Apply for a Unit 7 MT lope tag.
Step three: Drive to WY and shot lope.
Step four: Start driving home and stop in MT and shoot another lope.

If you don't care about horn size, can walk a bit and shoot a rifle you should be OK.

That's actually a pretty effective strategy (the tag in MT is 700 and covers the majority of SE Montana). Get OnX or similar and investigate all access options (public, private that allows public) for said units. Maybe even call the local county roads guys to confirm status of roads.

Last edited:
looks like 80 percent private land with one small walk in area. Get yourself onx maps and you can figure out what land you can get to, as most is land locked. I think any unit you pick you will get antelope if you work for them. I'm coming out there on my first trip also. I know its hard to pick a unit just by looking at a map but thats what you have to do. Plus wait until the end of april when they post quotas and last years info. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back