Elk Heart

fez

Good evening,

Normally I do the gutless method and I never touch the insides, however this past weekend I was able to knock down a yearling cow and it died right on the road so I brought it out whole. after gutting it, i looked over and decided to try the heart.

Anyone have tips on how to cook it? I have it my fridge, sitting in salt water.

Thanks for your tips

fez

Season or marinade to your liking, get your grill smoking hot, take straight from fridge to grill (don't bring to room temp), sear on each side about 2mins and enjoy!
The heart, probably my most favorite to consume, just wish there was more than one!
Whatever method you decide to prepare, you'll love it!

I core them out first usually and then slice the main outter walls into 1/2" or so strips. Pan fry in butter, add salt and pepper, and enjoy!

I like to do Peruvian kebabs, called Anticuchos.
half cup olive oil
half cup red wine vinegar
4 t cumin
1 t pepper
1 t salt
5 cloves garlic
2 T minced fresh parsley
2 T minced fresh cilantro
4 crushed chilpoltle chiles (about 4-6 t)
elk heart cubed into kebab-size pieces (ca. 1.5 inches?)

Marinate for 30 minutes at room temperature then put on skewers and grill over a hot fire about 2 minutes per side, I like mine about medium rare. Mop them with extra marinade as they cook, you want some flareups on the coals to get that extra flavor.

dang, I wish I had an elk heart right now...

Last edited:
Heart tacos :cool: I've also sliced it into wide strips and beer battered them and deep fried them with some home made beer battered onion rings.

Figured I'd add to this with my question rather than start a new thread.

As for cooking the heart, what temperature do you cook it at? It's just a muscle, would you still cook it like an elk steak, mid-rare at most is my preference, or do you need to cook it to a higher temp?

Likely a head bloc but I cook mine done, careful not to shoe leather em.

Last edited:
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back